Info on threading your own pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so I'm interested in kicking my game up a bit. Where do I find a how-to on doing threads? Is there a trick to it? I've tapped holes before, but I haven't used a die before.

Also, the HF tap and die sets are on sale- are they decent? If so, I may pick on up and start experimenting.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

I have the HF set and have had no problems with the quality. The only drawback is that they are single start, not the multi start which are the type on the kits (less turn to close). For the 40$ or so, get it, try it ,see if you like it. You will need a die holder for the tail stock, but that's not a big deal either, $30 or so.

BigguyZ

I have the HF set and have had no problems with the quality. The only drawback is that they are single start, not the multi start which are the type on the kits (less turn to close). For the 40$ or so, get it, try it ,see if you like it. You will need a die holder for the tail stock, but that's not a big deal either, $30 or so.

Where does one buy a die holder? Does PSI or CUSA carry them?

cnirenberg

The die holder fits in the tailstock, with the die tightened inside it. The headstock has the tenon mounted, by collet or scroll chuck. I hold the die holder and turn onto the tenon. The holder itself is like a cylinder mounted on the 2MT and can slide in and out.

TomW

The die holder fits in the tailstock, with the die tightened inside it. The headstock has the tenon mounted, by collet or scroll chuck. I hold the die holder and turn onto the tenon. The holder itself is like a cylinder mounted on the 2MT and can slide in and out.

Thanks. I missed the "slide in and out" part. Makes more sense now.

Tom

Top Bottom