Impulse purchase: Alumlite/burl blank. What do I do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

So I was in my local Woodcraft and saw this Alumlite/burl blank that looked really nice. I couldn't help myself, so I picked it up. I've never used one of these before, so I was hoping some of the more experienced turners could give me all the tips for working with this thing.

Some questions: Do I need to paint the barrels? To trim the blanks, should I use sanding or a pen mill? Should I sand wet or dry? Is finishing with CA recommended?

Thanks.
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike8850

When in doubt I always reverse paint. I prefer to sand all my blanks to length. The whole blank gets sanded up to 350 grit dry. I then apply 5 or more coats of CA and then wet sand with Micro Mesh.
Hope this helps,
Mike

putnamm

When in doubt I always reverse paint. I prefer to sand all my blanks to length. The whole blank gets sanded up to 350 grit dry. I then apply 5 or more coats of CA and then wet sand with Micro Mesh.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike, by "reverse paint" do you mean paint the barrel or paint the inside of the blank? Or both?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike8850

Sorry, I just paint the inside of the blank. Usually just a quick shot of spray paint as close to the blank color will do. It should dry for at least a day.
Also I glue my tubes in with epoxy. Sometimes CA will react with the paint.
Mike

putnamm

Sorry, I just paint the inside of the blank. Usually just a quick shot of spray paint as close to the blank color will do. It should dry for at least a day.
Also I glue my tubes in with epoxy. Sometimes CA will react with the paint.
Mike

Mike, can you recommend a brand of epoxy?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I don't know where the term REVERSE paint came from. It sounds confusing and, causes someone to ask what it means. You either paint the tube or, you paint inside the blank. Where is the reverse in this?

SORRY to highjack your thread. Mike did well to explain his answer to your question and, is just using the term as it has been used here for a LONG time. Hoping to be enlightened :wink:

Mike8850

Chucks right , it is confusing. No idea how the term got started here but this is kind of an explanation .

Reverse painting on glass is an art form consisting of applying paint to a piece of glass and then viewing the image by turning the glass over and looking through the glass at the image.

I guess we are kind of doing the same thing with our blanks.
As for epoxy I like a 5 minute epoxy , no special brand. I'm using Loctite right now.
Mike

jttheclockman

I don't know where the term REVERSE paint came from. It sounds confusing and, causes someone to ask what it means. You either paint the tube or, you paint inside the blank. Where is the reverse in this?

SORRY to highjack your thread. Mike did well to explain his answer to your question and, is just using the term as it has been used here for a LONG time. Hoping to be enlightened :wink:

Chuck I bet you thought it meant taking paint off and putting it back in the bottle.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Sorry Chuck, but Skip made me say it.:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Chuck I bet you thought it meant taking paint off and putting it back in the bottle.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Sorry Chuck, but Skip made me say it.:)
That's exactly what it sounds like to me! :biggrin: Still wondering though :redface:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chucks right , it is confusing. No idea how the term got started here but this is kind of an explanation .

Reverse painting on glass is an art form consisting of applying paint to a piece of glass and then viewing the image by turning the glass over and looking through the glass at the image.

I guess we are kind of doing the same thing with our blanks.
As for epoxy I like a 5 minute epoxy , no special brand. I'm using Loctite right now.
Mike
Well thanks Mike! That does make some sense. I never knew what it meant to reverse paint. Some things have to be explained to ME :biggrin:

putnamm

I have a question about sanding, specifically:

Typically, with non-wood materials (acrylic, acrylester, etc.) I wet sand with wet/dry sand paper to 400 grit and then wet sand with Micro Mesh pads.

I do not wet sand on wood, because--honestly--I'm too impatient to wait for the wood to dry between pads. And I don't want the wood to absorb the water and eventually warp or rot.

Since this is a combination of two materials--alumilite and wood--should I wet sand or not? Is dry sanding alumilite okay?

Thanks,
Mark

Top Bottom