ideas for cellist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTJeff

I have had a request for a pen that relates to her son who is a cellist. I have made one for the daughter who is a piano player, but im having difficulty with a cello

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

What about routing 3 grooves down the length of a pen and inserting brass guitar string or cello string so that it sticks a bit above the pen and then burying it under CA or epoxy? Kind of like an electric cello?

585441.jpg

scoutharps

Also check and see what clef sign cello music uses--I'm not sure but i think it is NOT standerd trble cleff. Perhaps bass clef, but I seem to remember they had their own...of course, jr high orchestra was a long time ago. Going with the bow idea, horse hair and rosin spring to mind. They do not have frets like a guitar, but I think the normal woods are rosewood, spruce and ebony for the instrument itself, although the bow woods sound prettier. Keep us osted, this sounds like a great idea the mom had!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Greenmtnguy made some great looking pens out of pernambuco (Caesalpinia echinata)
which is commonly used to make bows for cellos, violins, violas etc.

PTJeff

Bruce,
I have seen that pen earlier, but didn't realize you were the artist. I'm leaning toward something like that, but still open for other ideas. Maybe the body of a cello as the base and the neck as the pen...

ngeb528

How about turning a pen that resembles the neck and base for the pen to sit in that looks like the bottom of the instrument?

btboone

Or one that has the basic curves of a cello, the thin neck, wider top, flared out bottom with a concave cut in the center. Obviously not flared out as much as the real instrument. You could add the tuning keys up top.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
How the heck did you do the inlay? Stuff like that is staggering to me, yet I want to get to that point.
The principle is the same as the laser kits sold by Ken Nelson and Constant. Because I had 4 wood species in this, I turned cylinders slightly proud of the bushings of each wood without glueing to the tubes. The pieces were then laser cut from the cylinders based on a picture/design I sent. Then its just a matter of gluing the background piece to a tube and fitting in the rest of the pieces. This one required a good deal of hand finishing as I wanted to keep the fingerboard and tail piece above the plane of the top.

Top Bottom