I am an expert now!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Laurenr

After much study, and many mistakes, I was able to make a kitless pen. Yes folks, the "short-bus" kid succeded. So, ...that makes me an expert!

I now have a nice, ok maybe not so nice, 6mm fountain pen, made from cocobolo, with a black Alumilite section.

Now I can do it, on to doing it better.

Have any of you used black Delrin for sections?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

I'm jealous! Did you use a wood lathe or a metal lathe? Kitless pens are on a very long list of "someday" endeavors, but they're close to the top.

plantman

It only took me seventy years to make my first one. Isn't it a great feeling to look at something and know you made it from scratch yourself. Almost like having a child born. Well, maybe not exactly the same feeling, but a good one at the least. Congrats on the conquest !!! Now, if you can sell it for $1000 you will be a "Master". Need some photos. Jim S

Laurenr

I am an expert now

I think I have attached pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 543

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Mr. Expert! :biggrin: Really, you HAVE gone a step above by, making a kitless pen from wood. Now, go one step further. Take a little more threads off and, line up the grain pattern from cap to barrel. Nice work!

duncsuss

Congratulations! It's not so long ago that I made my first kitless, I remember the feeling of victory when I finished it :biggrin:

Chuck (Dalecamino) suggested one way you could improve it -- but my recommendation is to not try anything on that pen. Keep it as is, but look at it with a critical eye to see in how many little ways you could do things differently in the next one.

I wouldn't take the chance of destroying my first kitless pen by trying to make it better, done that kind of thing far too many times :rolleyes:

Oh, and re: delrin ... no, I haven't used it for sections. IMO it doesn't hold a candle to black acrylic acetate or (even better) good quality black ebonite.

Last edited:

Laurenr

Thank you all for the input. I have finished a second pen, with may improvements, (pictures to follow when I get a minute).

Chuck, I haven't a clue how to line up the grain. I can do it easily with kit pens, but the whole threading process has been daunting enough without the added detail. If you could give me some idea of where to start, I'll give it a whirl.

It's not that hard to line up the grain. What you do is after you thread the pen and cap thread the cap on and see how it lines up. If it doesn't remove a little more materiel above the threads on the pen so the cap threads on farther. Keep going just a little at a time until the grain lines up.

duncsuss

Keep going just a little at a time until the grain lines up.

You can compute how much "little" really means by dividing the thread pitch by the additional fraction of a circle you want the cap to turn.

For example, if the cap needs to screw on a quarter turn to get the grain lined up, and you used a 12mm x 0.75 thread, you have to shave off under 0.2mm.

I do this exercise not so much as a guide, but to remind myself we're dealing in really thin shavings here ... it's very easy to go beyond the target -- DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

chrisk

Congrats.
IMHO the second looks much better.
Lauren, which set of tap/die did you use for these 2 kitless pens? The threads on the 2d one look different.
Thanks for sharing.

Jim Burr

Banned
I have an old and dear friend in your line of work, a detailed mind and steady hand will always prevail!! Your pen is an outstanding effort and from wood no less!!

travis21

I plan on making my own kit, and after hours of research, still cannot find how to make your own "section". I am very new to fountain pens (haven't used one, don't own one, yet I make them) and am taking on the task of making my own metal parts. My difficulty is how to make the "section" (not sure if there is a better term for it, that is what I found) that you fit the "feed" into? I will buy a nib, feed, and ink cartridge, but how does one assemble that to the rest of the pen?

Thank you for your time

Top Bottom