How to spend your time on a kitless pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

At least for me.

35% design before ever going near a lathe
20% turning
45% detail work to finesse the final look, feel, fit, polish, etc...

I find that the actual act of turning (including threading) is so minimal compared to everything else. Tweaking the threads to get the turn count right and line up just right, posting depth, cap depth, polishing and detail work, clip recessing, finial fit, etc...

Pen "turning" really isn't quite the right description anymore.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

The numbers may vary from one pen to the next, but the overall gist is the same: significantly longer planning and putting the finishing touches on it than doing the simple mechanical tasks.

And you're right -- it's a lot more than turning. (I guess that's why this section of the forum is called "Advanced Pen Making" :wink:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You guys are both spot on. Yet, you still continue, as I will when this shed gets finished. :rolleyes:

Now, tell me. Do you want to put all of that info and, how-to in a video or tutorial? Not I! :biggrin:

Carl and, Duncan, you both are among the best PEN MAKERS I've seen. Good topic Carl. :wink:

Brooks803

Yeah every time I've done a demo on custom pens I always start by saying 90% of the process is the prep work. Turning the actual pen is the quickest part.

I think your numbers are pretty spot on Carl. For me though I've got to decrease the turning to 15% and add 5% for answering texts from Tyson :tongue::biggrin:

BSea

For me it's more like:

20% turning
15% Scratching my head wondering why it doesn't fit the way I designed it.
23% redesigning the original design.
19% turning again
3% Breaking something
11% Thinking of a different way to turn it so it doesn't break.
26% turning it a new way
75% detail work to finesse the final look, feel, fit, polish, etc...
8% using 4 letter words when I notice the replacement piece isn't from the same blank.
4% making notes on "WHAT NOT TO DO" the next time.

Yes I know it's more than 100% But I made like 2.7 pens although not all pieces ended up being polished, or even being part of a finished pen.:mad-tongue:

Carl Fisher

For me it's more like:

20% turning
15% Scratching my head wondering why it doesn't fit the way I designed it.
23% redesigning the original design.
19% turning again
3% Breaking something
11% Thinking of a different way to turn it so it doesn't break.
26% turning it a new way
75% detail work to finesse the final look, feel, fit, polish, etc...
8% using 4 letter words when I notice the replacement piece isn't from the same blank.
4% making notes on "WHAT NOT TO DO" the next time.

Yes I know it's more than 100% But I made like 2.7 pens although not all pieces ended up being polished, or even being part of a finished pen.:mad-tongue:

YES!

The number of "learning curve" pieces I have continues to grow. It's becoming a pen graveyard on my work bench.

Don't forget the 10% of time sharpening your tools and praying they don't catch when you've got the last .5mm to turn.

Top Bottom