International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Default How to cut threads on wood lathe

So I've dug through several threads and articles on the forum and bought some taps, dies, delrin, nibs, feed housings, etc. I was planning trying to make a die holder similar to the one shown in George's article.

I've never tried to cut threads on my lathe before and I have a wood lathe so I was looking for pointers. So for a wood lathe is the basic technique to rotate the lathe by hand and the tailstock is supposed to be left loose and get pulled in? I'm a little worried about my tailstock sliding smoothly if thats the case. I have the Rikon 70-100. My handle that tightens the tailstock is famous for falling too far down with gravity and causing the tailstock to not slide easily...I'm always having to lift it a little to get it to slide. Plus that seems like a ton a weight to move. I was thinking I'd need to try to be helping it along by pushing with my right hand as I turn the other side with my left.

For the die holder I was brainstorming why not manufacture a shaft with a groove in it that would allow the die holder to freely slide as the threads are cut and the groove would prevent the die holder from rotating? Set screws could be adjusted into the groove.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Gil
Gilrock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Try this thread 1 1/2" die holder -- 3/4" chuck
Starting around post 12. I made my own die holder using some maple stock I had on hand and it works great.

Terry
TerryDowning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDowning View Post
Try this thread 1 1/2" die holder -- 3/4" chuck
Starting around post 12. I made my own die holder using some maple stock I had on hand and it works great.

Terry
Yeah I've seen that thread but I think I missed that embedded video the first time. I've already got 2" Delrin on the way so I was going to make one very similar to his. I can't watcht he video yet but from his description it sounds like the set screws would prevent the holder from sliding and rotating. I was dreaming of a setup where it could slide but not rotate.

Edit: Well it just hit me...I guess the material could just be locked in place on the left side and then rotate the die holder by hand...duh...

Gil

Last edited by Gilrock; 02-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I turn both the chuck (Left hand) and the die holder (right hand). I'm just impatient that way.

Post pics when done and show us how it turned out.
TerryDowning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 96

I made a die holder as well. It slides and rotates on a steel rod. I think it's easier to "feel" what you are doing when turning the die holder instead of having it "locked" from rotating...
Here's mine: I'm tired of Justin!
glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to some fast shipping from Enco I almost completed my die holder yesterday. Still waiting for the other die to put on the other side but I've got the triple die installed. Only thing I want to add is I left no space behind the die in case I cut threads on something longer than the die. I need to decided how deep to go...I'd like to keep as much of the 1/4" hole as possible for support and I'll be housing dies on both sides.

Thanks,
Gil
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

You Die holder will slide, but when you need to tap you will want the tailstock loose. Just reach under the tailstock and loosen the nut on the clamp, then retighten once you want the lever to work again.

I have left the IAP. If you wish to contact, use the email a member feature. I don't log in to see PMs any longer.
Russianwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 48

If you ned to cut threads longer than the die, just remove the die from the delrin holder and use a regular handled die holder. The reason for starting the threads on the lathe is to make sure they are straignt. Once you have a full dies worth of threads, it will stay straight regardless of how you hold it.

Mid Atlantic Penturners Gathering
www.midatlanticpen.com
Visit web site for action from MAPG 2014
Planning for MAPG 2015 - May 1-2 2015
BRobbins629 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRobbins629
If you ned to cut threads longer than the die, just remove the die from the delrin holder and use a regular handled die holder. The reason for starting the threads on the lathe is to make sure they are straignt. Once you have a full dies worth of threads, it will stay straight regardless of how you hold it.
What he said... Once you get them started good, you're golden.
glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips....hopefully I'll get to try to make something soon. It doesn't look like my order from Victor Machinery has even shipped yet and I've received everything else I ordered that day. Waiting on another tap/die and drill bits from them.

Thanks,
Gil