Homemade inlays?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Does anyone have ideas on making a cross inlay other than lazer cutting? I would like to make some pens with crosses and maybe fill cutouts with various materials.The lazer blanks are great.but I can't afford them.If a dremel tool is used,what type jig is needed to get straight cuts?Thanks for any ideas. John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

Almost two years ago, IAP member "Larry in Harrow" posted photos of his amazing cross inlays. He does these by hand, without the use of a laser... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51643

Does anyone have ideas on making a cross inlay other than lazer cutting? I would like to make some pens with crosses and maybe fill cutouts with various materials.The lazer blanks are great.but I can't afford them.If a dremel tool is used,what type jig is needed to get straight cuts?Thanks for any ideas. John

Last edited:

JimMc7

I've made some cross inlay blanks using table saw and router table.
  1. Prepare blank and rip in half as accurately as possible
  2. Using a miter gauge jig and router table, route 1/8" slot for horizontal section of cross
  3. Glue in horizontal inlay
  4. Using same miter gauge jig and stop blocks, route 1/16" slot for vertical section of cross -- use a sharp bit to get clean edges
  5. Trim vertical section length on shooting board to get precise fit for the vertical section
  6. Glue the 2 halves with the vertical section installed
Takes a while to get the jig set up and precise height adjustments but not particularly difficult once set up is done. Here are some photos of various steps and resulting blanks:

Attachments

• DSCN0381.JPG
    DSCN0381.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0399.JPG
    DSCN0399.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0414.JPG
    DSCN0414.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 348
Top Bottom