Home made Brass pen - advice ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spike589715

Hi All
i am having a go at making my first pen
The plan is to make it from brass, I have a lathe and it seems like a good idea .....
I have ordered a nib and feeder also the holder which I may use or make my own ....
my question is if I want to make the holder for the feeder and nib I will need a short piece of tube to go from inside the cartridge to the feeder, this seems to be around 2.54 mm outside diameter and around 1.2 mm inside diameter
Ideally I would like some sort of metal tubing ? but any suggestions of what to get and where to get it would be fantastic or exact dimensions !!

Many thanks for any thoughts on this

Simon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Hi Simon

I don't know which nib/feed combo you have purchased, but I would not bother trying to make a new feed holder when it already comes with one. The inside of the feed holder, is not a round hole, you will see this when you get it. If you don't wish to buy the special tap to fit the feed holder that you have, you could just epoxy the holder into the section.

Concentrate more on the section itself. And how it will work with the cap and body.

Good luck

Silver

Hi Simon, welcome aboard.

Not sure what nib and feeder you have brought.

But it sounds as though you are wanting to make a kitless pen. If you look at the library on here you will find loads of tutorials showing how to go about making one.

You will need special taps so you can use the feeder that you have ordered or as Darrin says you could glue it in place. Not my first option tho I must admit.

However there is nothing difficult about making a pen, just what and how we go about making them that makes it difficult.

Last edited:

Spike589715

Hi thanks for the replies
I will probably glue the holder into the front of the pen the one I have is basically a tube the feeder an nib slide into - with the thin tube at the back for the converter
I was just pondering really

Cheers
Simon

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Simon, I am unable for some reason, to copy and paste the link but, if you will go into the Library, scroll down to the Index and find PENS. Hover over PENS, it will drop down a menu. In the right hand column there is a tutorial about SECTIONS by texatdurango (George Butcher) This may help you some. Good luck!

Top Bottom