Handy tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks George. I was fortunate to have this trick demonstrated to me by Mike Roux and Mike Redburn. It's worth another look and, a good reminder.

Texatdurango

I really liked this tool idea but lack the welding skills or availability other than taking to some local welding shop. After looking at it a bit I realized I could accomplish the same thing without welding so here is the poor mans alignment tool!.......

This shot shows a square piece of stock, in this case my Dremel tool holder, which I drilled a hole in the end and used a bolt to attach an old band saw bearing. It actually works GREAT!
1_bearing_tool1.jpg

Here's another view showing how simple the tool was to make for those "welding challenged" like me. Pay no mind to the back end of the tool, any square stock would do, this was just handy.
1_bearing_tool2.jpg

Paul in OKC

What is scary is when you are needing to hire a guy who says he has 20 years of experience, and he comes into the shop to make a test piece, and this is how he goes about centering up his tool. Then has to ask fo rhelp when it doesn't cut right. This will work for a lot of things. best results are the tool at or a hair below center. After you set the tool this way, take a face pass on something down to close to center, and see where the tool is compared to the little 'tit' that is left for final adjustment. WARNING, if you tool tip is too low and you face off passed center (in metal) you will very likely break off the tip of the tool.

Texatdurango

Paul, Thanks for the insight.

This may be too "general" of a question to answer but....... Is there a way to tell by the material coming off or the resultant surface look and/or feel if the cutter is set at the proper height using the a bit with the right angle?

Paul in OKC

I'm sure there is, but if the tool is too high as the part gets smaller, it will seem like the machine is working harder to cut, because it will start to rub the material below the cutting tip rather than cut. The finish will likely be a bit 'record player'-ish if too low.

Texatdurango

I'm sure there is, but if the tool is too high as the part gets smaller, it will seem like the machine is working harder to cut, because it will start to rub the material below the cutting tip rather than cut. The finish will likely be a bit 'record player'-ish if too low.

Bingo.......... the 33 1/3rpm phonograph record is my typical finish(sometimes a 78 rpm), looks like I'm too low then, I'll try raising the bit a bit!

bitshird

I always have a 6 inch scale in my shirt pocket, you can get the cheap Stainless ones from HF for about a buck, my B&S has decimal to fractional conversions on the back and those suckers are sure handy, even the good ones are inexpensive,

cwolfs69

effective center

just a point to remember. the "center " is the effective center, not necessarily vertical center. Having spent 30+ years in this field i have many times placed the tool above center with a negative rake on the tip. another trick is to run in reverse and put your tool upside down. this helps many times with chip removal and allows chips to fall down out of the way. also helps eliminate chatter at times. in that case "below center" would actually be above, spatially speaking. Wasn't aware that there were that many guys on here with metal lathes. If anyone needs help in this field, i would be glad to assist. that is one field where i do consider myself an "expert" not a beginner as in pen turning. Engineering, gearing, tooling, fixtureing etc. are all right in my wheel house. Just drop me a pm and i will be more than happy to assist. .

Paul in OKC

Very good point about the center, Charlie. However, I think most here are using 'flat' tooling. Done this for almost 35 years, and still doing it every day! Still love it! Only tool I ever ran upside down was on an old W&S turret lathe, had a cut off tool on the 'back side' of the parts being ran.
Another thing to think about is the radius on the nose of the tool. A small radius (1/64) will give a better finish than a sharp point on the tool.

cwolfs69

Very good point about the center, Charlie. However, I think most here are using 'flat' tooling. Done this for almost 35 years, and still doing it every day! Still love it! Only tool I ever ran upside down was on an old W&S turret lathe, had a cut off tool on the 'back side' of the parts being ran.
Another thing to think about is the radius on the nose of the tool. A small radius (1/64) will give a better finish than a sharp point on the tool.

you know of course, Paul, most folks in the field today wouldn't have a clue what a "turret lathe" is. all of the cnc makes something like that to much work, actually having to index the head manually, etc. and yeah, your right, not a lot of backside tooling done, but plenty of reverse and upside down to clear weird chips and avoid facial burns. bronze castings come to mind. :eek:

Paul in OKC

you know of course, Paul, most folks in the field today wouldn't have a clue what a "turret lathe" is. all of the cnc makes something like that to much work, actually having to index the head manually, etc. and yeah, your right, not a lot of backside tooling done, but plenty of reverse and upside down to clear weird chips and avoid facial burns. bronze castings come to mind. :eek:

Very true. First 5 years in the trade that's what I ran. Didn't learn cnc until about 12 years ago. Now I manage a shop and get to run both cnc and manual. Last time I saw a turret lathe it was behind a guy's shop under a tarp!

Top Bottom