Gluing Acrylic to Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim

Didn't see this subject elsewhere.

I am making segmented blanks which incorporate wood and acrylic. I have been using CA but it sets up pretty fast which can make alignments tricky. Has anyone experience with gluing these materials and what adhesives work the best?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I've used 30 minute epoxy on quite a few acrylic/wood/truestone segments and no failures or complaints from customers yet. I've even mixed Pearl-ex powder with the epoxy to provide some interesting colored glue lines.

nightowl

I have used Gorilla glue on one of my segmented blanks. It worked great except that you have to scrape / sand the excess foam off of the blank after it dries. I have also used medum CA. It does not set up as quick.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I use a "Medium" CA glue. Most of the time I put the glue on the wood and the accelerator on the plastic because it works better than the other way around, and I have a few seconds to aligh the pieces.

If I need more time, I omit the accelerator and have over a minute to get it right, but have to make sure there is no accelerator present.

Top Bottom