Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Reb

HI

I'm having a heck of a time trying to measure thread sizes on this pen. I know it MM. This is my first try at a kitless pen. Would anybody have drill and tap size for this kit? I've ordered my tap holder and chuck.
Thanks
REB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I'm confused. You say this is a shot at a "kitless" pen then ask about a tap and die set for the Junior Jent II kit.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Reb

Hi
I think am going about this all wrong. I saw your thread on how to make kitless. I thought you took parts from a pen kit- I was going to thread for cap and nibe for a gent II. I think you were show just buying the nib.

Thanks
Randy

Texatdurango

Randy, OK, now I see what you are doing. First, forget the term "Jr Gent", it just confuses things. A little background might help clear things up..... The El Grande has long been a popular size pen to make so when folks started thinking of modifying kits, this was a popular kit to use. Bruce Robbins, an old man on the forum, contacted a company to see about having a "multistart" tap and die set made to match the El Grande threads (where the body and cap thread together).

Eventually this led to a group buy on another forum which spilled out over onto this forum and another group buy was done. The threads used were an oddball size, not available at any hardware or tool store and had to be specially made and were expensive, around $200 a set.

So, when you see someone like me mention the "multi-start" tap, you'll know what we are referring to. Also know that there were dozens of participants on the follow up buy and honestly I have not seen many folks post their work so think there are many taps and dies just sitting around not being used. Perhaps one of these folks could be persuaded to part with their tap and die set... it wouldn't hurt to ask!

In my post the other day, I didn't use any kit parts, just a couple pieces of plastic which I threaded, a Berea nib front section and a clip purchased from Elliot Landes, another pen maker on the forum known as xylostyle http://penmakers.com/used.html

There are alternatives to the "multi-start" tap and die but I don't bother since I have a set, others might chime in.

Top Bottom