Gearing up----Econo-watch Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Here's where I have been spending my evenings----I have a batch of Econo-Watch blanks that I am casting later today---these are already sold.
Sure made it nice to have one place set aside for this project. Really need to get one of those hard mats for the floor---those little parts are hard to find in the carpet.

Attachments

• DSCN0276.JPG
    DSCN0276.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 900

Mark

For a small area, you could probably use one of those trunk liners they mold for SUV's. They are fairly solid and the edges curl up. That would keep the part's local to the area, should they come off the table.

Last edited:

glycerine

For a small area, you could probably use one of those trunk liners they mold for SUV's. They are fairly solid and the edges curl up. That would keep the part's local to the area, should they come off the table.

You could also buy one of those "magnets on the end of a stick" thing and "sweep" them up...

Willee

Watch part pens are one of the coolest looking pens being made ... IMHO.

I would like to see one where the gears mesh together to give the illusion of a working mechanism instead of something that has exploded.

Hummmm ... perhaps I just found a new project ... now if I could just find an old watch.

EDIT ... Due to the path this thread has taken I feel I need to add this legal statment.
Meshing the gears together in a watch pen or a pool cue is my original idea so none of you can do that from now on.

Last edited:

glycerine

I would like to see one where the gears mesh together to give the illusion of a working mechanism instead of something that has exploded.

Hummmm ... perhaps I just found a new project ... now if I could just find an old watch.

Let's see how many watches it takes to make a watch part pool cue!!!!

scotian12

Hi Gary....the Gorilla super glue ...is that a CA based glue or the expandable poly glue? If the poly type, the set up time is fairly slow, so that it would give you time for adjustments but as it expands it foams into a light colored film which would show, I think. Could you please clarify. Thanks Darrell Eisner

Willee

Let's see how many watches it takes to make a watch part pool cue!!!!

Many pool cue ideas were worked out on a pen before becoming a cue design.
I think your idea of a pool cue made with watch parts inlayed is an excellent idea.
Too bad pool cues can not be made of casting resin like the pens.

bitshird

Is that the kind of glue Barry Gross recommends??or is that copyright protected as well as his design??

Your such a funny person Ken.

Thanks Gary but you saw how long the beautiful picture of a watch part pen stayed up? I honestly don't see how he can get so self righteous, (but then again look who I'm answering). However, Mr Gross is very touchy about that type of pen, as has been shown on this forum before.
But Lawyers have to earn a living to!! I think it would be god to see this put to a test and ended one way or the other, lucky for me, I don't have a horse in this race though so I got nothing to loose.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I honestly don't see how he can get so self righteous, (but then again look who I'm answering). However, Mr Gross is very touchy about that type of pen, as has been shown on this forum before.

Ken, with all due respect, why is trying to protect something that you worked hard developing being self righteous? I do not understand the thought on this site that everything should be copied and that the person that tries to protect their ideas are the bad guys.

Willee

I honestly don't see how he can get so self righteous, (but then again look who I'm answering). However, Mr Gross is very touchy about that type of pen, as has been shown on this forum before.

Ken, with all due respect, why is trying to protect something that you worked hard developing being self righteous? I do not understand the thought on this site that everything should be copied and that the person that tries to protect their ideas are the bad guys.

Curtis, it is the idea that someone thinks he owns something just because he was the first to do something different.
Who was the first to use casting resin to make a pen?
How do you think he should feel about everyone else copying that process?
Didn't the first person that put watch parts in casting resin become guilty of copying that same process himself?
Placing an object in casting resin then turning it into a pen is one thing just about anyone can do.
It has become public property and anyone is entitled to use that process.
Thinking you own some sort of special entitlement because you were the first to put that specific object in casting resin is what is so funny!
We have laws in this country to protect intellectual property and they are very specific about what can be protected and what can not.
Just saying something dont make it so and sometimes peoples unfounded and incorrect statements and legal threats are where the humor lies.

As an afterthought ... many of what some people think are original ideas have been done before by others.
Whoever turned the first Cocobolo wood pen had no right to say no one else could use that wood because it was his original idea.

Last edited:

bitshird

Curtis he published the instructions in a book telling how to do it, as long as the design doesn't look exactly like his I don't see why he's being so hard on people for emulating a design. How many people have you threatened for trying to copy your cactus skeleton blanks, that's all I'm saying, IF the Design is Copyright protected then it is, but the design was out and for sale before Mr Gross did it only thing was it sells for 19,000.00 dollars Barry writes books on how to make pens and when some one makes one he blasts them, Am I missing something here or what?? shouldn't Caran De Arch be the ones hopping up and down, it was apparently their idea, Oh but Barry Gross used a cheaper pen kit.
There is stuff all over Youtube about how to make them, at what point does this become public domain, I think in that sense none of us should be allowed to make any pens because we are copying someones work some where. or do we get by because we are using different wood, different finishes, different plating's, Well the parts in all these watch part pens are not the same, I do think I'll defriend Barry on Facebook, like it will really matter. And the self righteous comment wasn't just directed at Barry Gross, but if you are going to sell books explaining how to make a pen or any other craft item then you shouldn't get your knickers in a wad when some one does what you have taught them to do or am I just getting senile??

jttheclockman

I don't want anyone cpying the use of copper sleeving in a cast resin pen. I have never seen this so I claim as my idea. :):):)

IMGP0603.jpg

Just Kidding. Copy away. But it just shows the sillyness of this whole thing. He is and was not the first with the idea. If I had to copyright every item I made from my ideas I would go broke.

PenPal

Morning everybody.

A comment if I may a long time probably in the 60,s as a Photographer I was totally impressed by a group of Photo finishing technicians in Australia made a tie pin from an encapsulated Dung Beetle, Beetles were imported from Africa and are bred in their millions to counteract domestic flies breeding in the excessive manure distributed the length and breadth of this country.

The inscription applied to Photographers who used their services and it is.

DONT PUSH THAT CRAP ONTO ME. This was an effort to improve the input material something worth striving for as most people copy professional photographs of weddings, vdeos etc if we can even though these pic are copyright to the photographer.

Peter.

Willee

I don't want anyone cpying the use of copper sleeving in a cast resin pen. I have never seen this so I claim as my idea. :):):)

Just Kidding. Copy away. But it just shows the sillyness of this whole thing. He is and was not the first with the idea. If I had to copyright every item I made from my ideas I would go broke.

John, your copper braid pens are simply beautiful.

Now if you would sprinkle a few watch gears and some circuit board components around in there ... it would be really something.

I am so happy to see you and a few other people here actually "get" the concept.

Santacraig

I also use the Gorilla super glue, It is indeed CA and sells at walmart for less than $4.00 here in California for a bottle of 15G or just over 1/2 ounce

Gary Max

Nope John----ain't going to work---I am wanting to get my work bench cleared off not add anything new. Plus I am sold out of Salad Bowls and really need to get some turned. I started working on Econo-Watch pens on our website at 2am this morning.

jtdesigns

Yes, while I was bummed my "interpretation of a Barry Gross original" pen was taken down I want it clearly stated and known that our admin has asked me not to write a tutorial or post any more "watch part" pens and I will honor his request. I do agree that a person who writes a book and gladly accepts the proceeds should not get real upset when somebody makes an item that resembles something in the gallery of said book. By the way, I have been following the posts regarding this and embedding objects in resin along with coming up with some of my own ideas or improvements, it is quite evident, putting aside some peoples arrogance, that this concept and many others will continue to evolve with or without their input.

Thank to all for your comments on the pen that was taken down, I will post my latest creation where I used micro gears and cogs from RC servos, fishings reels, etc (not watch parts) for a commissioned piece for a race car driver titled: "Gear Head". I don't think that is copyrighted but who knows.

jtdesigns

IMGP0603.jpg

Btw, I think it would be a cool version to do another "gear head" with the stainless steel braid as the backdrop for the gears if you don't mind. Really cool pens JT!!!

Gary Max

Well Jeff it's still your fault that I get up at 2:30 in the a.m. and take watches apart.
Thanks for all the help you have given me. Right now I am building 6 Econo-Watch blanks at one time and hope to start selling them on my web site by the first of the month.

S.A.Mappin

EDIT ... Due to the path this thread has taken I feel I need to add this legal statment.
Meshing the gears together in a watch pen or a pool cue is my original idea so none of you can do that from now on.
Funny you should post that, I had been thinking the same thing, and wondered why no one had done it yet!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
jtdesigns said:
Yes, while I was bummed my "interpretation of a Barry Gross original" pen was taken down I want it clearly stated and known that our admin has asked me not to write a tutorial or post any more "watch part" pens and I will honor his request.

Now, in fairness to our Admin, explain why this request was made.

Gary Max

Personally-----I was told to post---sell or talk about making any pen I wanted to.
If I had enough words I would write the tutorial myself.
Ther's a bottom line that folks don't think about here------it's already out there.
Look how many lurkers are reading these post, How many memebers are killing poor little watchs. The word is out and in this country you can't stop people from making a buck.

Oh right now-------12 members --56 guest are here at IAP------plus the members that are hiding

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

jtdesigns said:
Yes, while I was bummed my "interpretation of a Barry Gross original" pen was taken down I want it clearly stated and known that our admin has asked me not to write a tutorial or post any more "watch part" pens and I will honor his request.

Now, in fairness to our Admin, explain why this request was made.

I am curious to hear this too.:confused:

bitshird

I believe the request was made since Barry Gross Does in fact have a legitimate Copyright to the CONCEPT. not just the end result, I recently went through a legal discussion regarding the conceptual parts of Patent and Copyright and patent laws with a " much larger competitor" fortunately my understanding of the Conceptual end of a Patent was better than his so I'm still in business, BUT had he been right, I would have been in Deep **it, SO I'd say go for it Gary you are an American Citizen and are entitled to the full protection of the court system, (and you're a pretty good sized guy too")
after all what have you got to loose:biggrin::biggrin:

bitshird

And I'm not certain it would apply, but Salvador Dali did this painting in 1931 called La persistencia de la memoria it involves deformed watch and clock parts

Gary Max

SO I'd say go for it Gary you are an American Citizen and are entitled to the full protection of the court system, (and you're a pretty good sized guy too")
after all what have you got to loose:biggrin::biggrin:

Ken-----Maybe he wants half the deer in the frezzer?????????

Folks you have to remeber--Jeff Brown is just trying to protect the site.
How can anyone fault him for that.

Top Bottom