Fountain Nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been buying the supplies for making more advanced pens and I am to the point where I need help. I have looked at all the Fountain nib sold at the different vendors. I have seen the taps used and I realize it is an expensive specialty item. So before I buy I want to know more. The nib screws in to the body, but the nibs I have looked at do not have the piece that you hold on to. What I want to know is how it attaches to the nib assembly. Dose it press on? Is it safe to use it as a stop for the threads so the do not wear out? I have never taken a nib apart. Dose the nib screw into this piece and then attach to the body? Has any one used the feeds from Roy, they do not show the brass band are they different? Is the little black shoulder what is used to stop for the threads? This is the one mystery I have not solved by looking at all the pictures available. And finally what type of grind on drill bits works best for the acrylic? I have drilled plenty but not with these close tolerances. Please help I am ready to move on.

IPD_Mr

Scot - The nib and feed screw into a piece called the section. This is where you generally hold the pen when writing. The section will then screw into the pen barrel or body. These pieces need to come apart so that you can either replace the cartridge or work a converter. In vintage lever type pens the section would be press fit into the body since it only needed to be taken apart if the sac went bad. The section is a part that you will have to make. There are several options for material such as resin, ebonite, lucite and any other material that you can successfully thread. Go into the IAP library and you should find an article by TexDurango. That should get you pretty much steered in the right direction.

Thank You, I took apart my wife's fountain pen last night. She watched in protest the whole time. I got a rough idea and I think I may order nibs and the tap from Roy today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom