Dyes and stains for veneers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Has anyone stained or dyed their own veneers ?

Thinking of buying a bulk of natural colored maple veneers and dying them myself.

Kloss

Has anyone stained or dyed their own veneers ?

Thinking of buying a bulk of natural colored maple veneers and dying them myself.

I do, but without a vacuum. but nothing thicker than 3/16 of an inch.
I leave the veneers in dyes diluted with DNA for 2 or 3 days in zip-lock bags; anyway depends on the thickness. One day is enough for everything with a thickness of 1/16 of an inch or less. Probably a day is not even necessary, but I want to be sure they absorb the dye completely.

KenV

I use acrylic inks and india inks on a fairly regular basis. Painted on for small quanties and soaked for larger quanties.

Leather Dyes work well

My wife is a weaver and uses metal hydride dyes. I use the leftover concentrated dyes for wood.

Depending on which glues and finishes you use, some dyes can bleed. Cured inks bleed little.

farmer

Dyes

I use acrylic inks and india inks on a fairly regular basis. Painted on for small quanties and soaked for larger quanties.

Leather Dyes work well

My wife is a weaver and uses metal hydride dyes. I use the leftover concentrated dyes for wood.

Depending on which glues and finishes you use, some dyes can bleed. Cured inks bleed little.

Epoxy base coat then Solarez I have tried permanent maker and epoxy and CA and it bleeds .

I bought some clothing dye brand name Rit mixed in Denatured alcohol and dyed a pieces of wood purple .

Then wiped the pieces of wood down with a paper towel soaked in denatured alcohol several times until the towel stopped removing the color ..

I put a epoxy finish on but the finish seemed like it didn't bond .

It was cool or cold I'm my shop and below zero outside .
I don't know if the finish failed because of the dye or the cold temp or both .

I was thinking about buying a bulk of maple veneers ..
And start dying them myself .
I use allot of veneers in my work and I found a person who is wanting to sale a pick load of veneers .
I know another member in here who has a interest in buying a bulk of veneers too .

Top Bottom