drill bit/tap and die chart??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Is there a chart or something that tells a big dummy like me what size drill bit to use for what size tap? and what diameter material for the matching die? thanks for any help!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

That looks pretty complete. Should be able to google a chart and find one as well, but why now! (see above =8^) ). As for material diameter for the die, your thread diameter is what the od should be, maybe a couple of thou under if anything. IE a 3/8-16 thread for example, 5/16 drill for the tap. 3/8 diameter for the die.

Last edited:

randyrls

Is there a chart or something that tells a big dummy like me what size drill bit to use for what size tap? and what diameter material for the matching die? thanks for any help!!

Hi Ron; Try this chart. Includes both Imperial and metric in all standard threads.

Take a gander around this site. LittleMachineShop has just about everything for the hobbyist metalworker. Very good information there!
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/TapDrillSizes.pdf

RAdams

Banned
That looks pretty complete. Should be able to google a chart and find one as well, but why now! (see above =8^) ). As for material diameter for the die, your thread diameter is what the od should be, maybe a couple of thou under if anything. IE a 3/8-16 thread for example, 5/16 drill for the tap. 3/8 diameter for the die.

good grief... I am doing something WAAAY wrong. Itried to use the 3/8 die on a piece of PR that was just barely under 3/8. It wouldnt even think about starting. I chamfered the end and still nothing. I need lots of practice or better tools or something...

ldb2000

Ron , PR is a bear to thread without breaking . The softer acrylics like madreperlato from Ed and Dawn at exoticblanks.com are much better because they are not quite as brittle . To thread PR you are better off making a longer tenon and tapering it to help start the die then take very small cuts (1/4 turn or less) then turn the extra length off . Tapping isn't as bad but you should get all your threads cut while the blank is still full diameter then turn to the correct size .

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You don't need a chart ( though it is a nice quick reference )

Metric; simply subtract the small number from the big number = drill size

Standard; Use the magic number 0.9742

0.9742 divide Pitch = 'x'

Decimal Tap size subtract 'x' = drill size ( in decimal )

RAdams

Banned
You don't need a chart ( though it is a nice quick reference )

Metric; simply subtract the small number from the big number = drill size

Standard; Use the magic number 0.9742

0.9742 divide Pitch = 'x'

Decimal Tap size subtract 'x' = drill size ( in decimal )

TOTALLY makes sense!:confused:

I could always subdivide the co-radient by the infractional quadrant, and then account for drag and wind resistance.

I gradieated from the tenf grade boss. I am lucky to be able to read the chart.

Top Bottom