Does anyone still use the Schmidt PRS - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

That was what I liked about the Schmidt, you use the same section for both.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
That was what I liked about the Schmidt, you use the same section for both.
Good to know. You've been very helpful.

I know nothing about fountain pen nibs, but I have friends that are very particular about them. How would you say Schmidt compare to Jowo?

Lewis
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I can't say because I haven't played with a Jowo. Schmidt is German so I wouldn't expect them to be markedly different.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Lewis,

I just did some quick measurements on a Schmidt #5 vs a Jowo #5 feed housing. I won't give you the numbers because they aren't something that you can take to the bank but I can say this:
1. For every diameter other than the thread diameter, the Schmidt is somewhat larger.
2. The threads start at almost exactly the same distance from the front of the housing.
3. The Schmidt is slightly longer.

You could probably make a section that is swappable between the Rolling Righter and a Jowo but I suspect that the Jowo would be a really sloppy fit.

The Schmidt is a quality nib although there are many who would view it as being in the minor leagues compared to Jowo or Bock. Schmidt nibs are made in Germany (quite possibly by Jowo). Schmidt nibs cost 6 or 7 bucks; a Jowo or Bock will cost you 20 unless you are buying 50 or so at a time. You can tune a Schmidt nib to write as well as a Jowo or a Bock; of if you can't tune it you can afford to throw it away and grab another one.

There are fountain pen snobs out there and I'm probably one of them. All of the pens I make have Jowo nibs that I tune myself. But I started out with Schmidts and learned to tune on them. Better to make your mistakes on something relatively inexpensive.

Anyhow, I've gone on too long. Hope this helps.

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

According to Brian Gray (Edison Pen Company):
Schmidt does not manufacture nibs. Schmidt buys their nibs from JoWo and Bock and then they assemble and distribute.
Link to source

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 31

Lewis
I have PRS nibbled kitless that I use often at work. I use it with red ink for markups. The pen ink flow is quite wet and the rolling element does "feel" as solid as a regular roller ball. The advantage is you can select a range of inks. IMHO the disadvantage is the roller feel.

In the future, I will just make a nib and use a roller ball refill.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penultimate View Post
Lewis
I have PRS nibbled kitless that I use often at work. I use it with red ink for markups. The pen ink flow is quite wet and the rolling element does "feel" as solid as a regular roller ball. The advantage is you can select a range of inks. IMHO the disadvantage is the roller feel.

In the future, I will just make a nib and use a roller ball refill.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Good to know. I have the tap coming from Mike Redburn and a PRS coming from Milan pens so I'll know soon enough. In all likelyhood I'll probably end up doing the same thing you plan on doing. I do know that I have 2 fountain pen lovers who like very thin pens and it seems like my best option is Jowo or Bock #5 nibs and since they are picky, if they don't like what I mock up then I can use it as a roller or try the fountain pen experience!

Lewis
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

I wanted to thank everyone who helped with this last month. Got my first pen completed using the Schmidt PRS system. Works well in my opinion.

At least this way I can make a pen and can furnish it outfitted with either Fountain pen or rollerball!

Lewis
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads