Do it yourself threading - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Photos: 0

Default Do it yourself threading

Sorry to have not stayed up with you guys that are forging ground here...I thought I was safe with doing 'kit' pens, but after reading Chris Thompson's stuff and seeing what you guys have been doing, I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet to start really customizing my stuff.

With all the tap and die stuff that's been posted, what options are out there for duplicating/mating to existing thread patterns and preserving multiple entry points? I guess the multiple points aren't that big a deal, but it just intrigues me.

Someone please point me in the right direction to catch up here. I've got a bazillion ideas I'd like to try, but I'm not gonna start chasing threads by hand! heh
karlkuehn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Karl
You really have only two options. The first one is to get a set of tap and dies. This is only good for one pen style you want to make. By pen style meaning Small, Medium or Large. This is only for me a short term method. Because of there expense and because taps and dies do wear out over time. When you start by buy more then one set the price starts to approach the cost of a decent metal lathe. Note this applies to multi-start threads not single start. I wanted to try and make my own pen style before putting money out for a metal lathe. I really what to see what type of market there is. Chasing threads with a wood lathe is not all that bad. For dies you need a die holder about 20.00 and you turn the lathe by hand. What is really to challenge is getting the size down on a repeatable basis. That is turn for a metal lathe as well as a wood lathe. Right now once Atlanta is done I will be able to concentrate on make my own pens.

Hope that helps

Alan
ashaw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Does anybody have a good small metal lathe to recommend? I think that for advanced pen making, it's looking more and more useful (not only for threading, but also for holder making and even full pen body work).
Sfolivier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know of a couple but I will have to look thru my information again. They start in the 2,500.00 range. But in the mean while I have been great some great result with my wood lathe and mini chucks. Next week I will have to post some information about my results.

Alan
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 93

I bought the 7x14 Micro-Mark metal lathe for $650.00, far cry from $2,500.00. I admit I'm new to metal lathes but it came highly recommended, as far as mini lathes go.

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"
rherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by karlkuehn

Sorry to have not stayed up with you guys that are forging ground here...I thought I was safe with doing 'kit' pens, but after reading Chris Thompson's stuff and seeing what you guys have been doing, I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet to start really customizing my stuff.

With all the tap and die stuff that's been posted, what options are out there for duplicating/mating to existing thread patterns and preserving multiple entry points? I guess the multiple points aren't that big a deal, but it just intrigues me.

Someone please point me in the right direction to catch up here. I've got a bazillion ideas I'd like to try, but I'm not gonna start chasing threads by hand! heh
Karl I almost never loan out tools but if you would like , when we get the taps in I will share. I will want to play with them for a few weeks. But after the initial newness wears off I'll still be doing kit pens so I would be willing to send them to you to play with for a few weeks. That should hold you until another group buy. I think we could work out a time share. it will give you a chance to see if you really want to invest the money in a set.

www.Tamperworks.com
pipeyeti is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rick
You are right Micro-Mark is a good lathe and for the price is a great value. I also would have been looking down that route had this been just a hobby. But since turning this into a full time business I had to look what was going to give me the best productivity for the money. Also had to look at longevity of the machine. After questioning a number of machinist that is where the price break came from. As a result would I change my mind later on an go to a Micro-Mark it all depends on what I want to do with it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree Alan, if I were buying a lathe to use full time in a production environment I would go larger also. After reading ALOT about these little lathes it became obvious that there was alot of tweaking and tuning that needed to be done before you make your first cut. After spending all day last Saturday tuning it up I was able to do some practicing on Sunday. I made a set of JG bushings out of aluminum and they turned out pretty good! I'm waiting for some O1 drill rod so I can make the real McCoy's. There's ALOT to learn but I'm looking forward to it.:D

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"
Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

A lot of good information here http://www.mini-lathe.com/
about mini metal lathes. At least it seems so to me (who is pretty ignorant about such things):D
Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree, I've been living there for the last several weeks. So much to learn!:D

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads