Custom Tap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

I'm ordering a custom tap to let you thread for old Esterbrook nib units (and other modern nibs) - I'm working on getting prices right now. I've already got 2 taps on call - any other takers?

It's something like 9/32"x34 or 36tpi.

Thanks

watch_art

not those.
Here are prices - so far I've got 3 confirmed (including myself)

1pc 126.10
2pc 91.60ea
3pc 62.90esa
6pc 41.50ea
9pc 31.60ea
12pc 23.50ea

watch_art

I'll post anywhere. I ship my pens out all over the place - it's no hassle at all. So don't worry about where you are - just send me an email. :)

theidlemind

Hey Shawn,

What tap were you using and why do you need this one now?
Custom pens are next on my "to do" list and wondering if I need to be one of the twelve new tap owners.
I already have the triple start tap and die for the cap.

watch_art

I haven't been using any tap in particular for this as nothing else comes close. it's for vintage esterbrook nibs and there are several modern nibs that will use the same threading - I'm mostly interested in this for the ester nibs though as I've got a few customers asking about that.

watch_art

send me an email - shawn@newtonpens.com

thanks!

And everybody - it's not going to be exactly 9/32x36 - I'm going to send a piece of thread in so they can match it - but price will be the same.
A friend in India corrected me - he had this tap custom made for him the same as I was planning, but his doesn't work. 8-|

But that's 12 called for. :) Thanks for the interest.

I'll update you all as things happen.

luke39uk

send me an email - shawn@newtonpens.com

thanks!

And everybody - it's not going to be exactly 9/32x36 - I'm going to send a piece of thread in so they can match it - but price will be the same.
A friend in India corrected me - he had this tap custom made for him the same as I was planning, but his doesn't work. 8-|

But that's 12 called for. :) Thanks for the interest.

I'll update you all as things happen.
Shawn have you measured the Esterbrook nib section correctly? I wanted the 9/32" x 36tpi tap to use for Pelikan M150 - M600 nib units and not specifically for Esterbrooks.

Bryan

watch_art

if she measured from the threads I gave her I'll trust her - I'm hoping the guy who told me it wouldn't work had a goofy tap. if it doesn't work I'll eat it and refund all the money.

duncsuss

if she measured from the threads I gave her I'll trust her - I'm hoping the guy who told me it wouldn't work had a goofy tap. if it doesn't work I'll eat it and refund all the money.

Of course she could always test the first tap and see if the nib unit(s) you sent her actually fit the threads it cuts :laugh:

duncsuss

btw ... what size drill is recommended for that size/pitch tap?

I can figure out the metric ones easily, but trying to subtract one thirtysixth from nine thirtytwoths is making my head hurt :eek:

watch_art

She said they don't test the taps - that's why I said I'll eat it and refund everybody if I need to. It won't be fun - but you know - if I have to I will. :)

I think a K bit will work okay... no wait... uhm....
Something about 6.5mm will work.

Curly

Tap drill size calculates to .254 for a 75% thread. You will need to find the closest drill size. Sizes F, 6.4mm or 6.5mm are likely best. Search for "tap drill calculators". Some will work and some won't for non standard sizes. Easy way is for Shawn to ask the tap maker for a recommendation. :wink:

watch_art

Thanks guys. :)

It's very very close to an M7x.75, so the F bit (that's what I used before - thanks for the reminder) will work just fine if you don't have a 6.5mm bit.

duncsuss

PERFECT!!!

Use an H to drill, then tap, PERFECT!

Most excellent :biggrin:

I have a couple of Esterbrook renew-point nib units that are looking forward to meeting their soulmates :)

Question: would you recommend making these into pens with cartridge/converter sections? Or ink-sac (whether button or side lever)? Or eyedropper?

Thanks Shawn!

watch_art

finally got em packed up and all 7 customs forms filled out.
dang I hate ballpoint pens. :mad:

will get them out tomorrow afternoon unless something blows up or the world ends.
:)

Top Bottom