Custom Chrome center rings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

So if I wanted to make some custom chrome center rings for my pens, what material would I use? Is there such a thing as solid chrome? Would chromoly(sp?) look like chrome? What about stainless steel?

Your thoughts?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

Chrome is just a plating, Chromoly is a high carbon steel.

I have used stainless before and it looks good...make sure you got the tools to turn it if needed. I've even used washers before but the thing to remember is, they will dull

Aluminum looks good and is easy to turn.

There is also silver. It's expensive and you can buy parts for pens.

jalbert

Nickel silver works well too if you don't feel like messing with stainless steel. It turns and drills wonderfully. I use it for silver colored rings and clips almost exclusively.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You can make all of your pen parts from brass and have them chrome plated IF you can find a plating company that doesn't charge a steep minimum. I did find a place in Rhode Island and he agreed to $25.00 down from $50.00 I think they do Rhodium also. Just a thought.

BradG

Turn the piece from a copper based alloy such as brass, and pick up a bright nickel plating kit (replica chrome). you can either brush plate which is cheaper, or tank plate. tank plate gives a better finish.

Stay away from hexavalent chromium, it causes cancer.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Turn the piece from a copper based alloy such as brass, and pick up a bright nickel plating kit (replica chrome). you can either brush plate which is cheaper, or tank plate. tank plate gives a better finish.

Stay away from hexavalent chromium, it causes cancer.
Thanks Brad! I completely forgot. You can get a plating kit from Caswell Plating.

frank123

303 Stainless looks good, very much like chrome, works easily and polishes without excessive effort to a mirror finish.

david44

Top Bottom