closed end tube painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigNick73

So I started a pen tonight, was going to be a closed end churchill made with a blue burl/acrylic blank. I painted the tubes white and I can see the tube. This wouldn't be a problem with a normal kit as the body and cap would match, but now I got a pen body that's half light blue and half dark blue. The light half being the thin part against the white tube and the dark being the thicker end that I only used a 7mm bit on to make room for the converter.

Is there a way to handle these slightly translucent blanks? Full length tubes?

BSea

You could paint the lower half of the blank white. It may be a bit of a problem, and you may still have a seam where the tube meets the 7mm hole since the material is going to be thicker. It really depends on the blank.

BigNick73

You could paint the lower half of the blank white. It may be a bit of a problem, and you may still have a seam where the tube meets the 7mm hole since the material is going to be thicker. It really depends on the blank.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll just have to make better blank choices. I can't seem to get a full kitless down with my cheap wood lathe, something always ends up a little out of round of off center no matter how hard I try so closed end until I can get a new lathe.

Top Bottom