Closed End Pen Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr Robert

I would like to start making closed end pens but have zero experience. I have been researching various techniques on line but many seem very technical and confusing. Any suggestions for a nice, concise technique along with the necessary armamentarium, ie holding mandrels etc!?

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Hey Doc:

Just under the IAP logo, left side.

Go to forms, Library, advance pens section and you will find lots of good proven info.

Good luck on you closed ends turning.
Dieseldoc

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you have a collet chuck set, or a drill chuck with drawbar for your headstock- Buy a set of punch presses (Harbor Freight, etc: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/punches/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html), grind a flat slot on whatever OD you need. Use a small nail ground to approximate size, and you can have fun with closed ends very economically. (May need some blue tape to get the nail to fit the slotted punch bar snugly!).

The benefit of the transfer set is that you can have every conceivable (well, almost) size needed for closed end turnings, and the transfers are still good for their intended purpose.

its_virgil

Go to http://redriverpens.com/articles.htm and look at article #13 and #14. They should get you started. You do not really need any special tooling to make closed end pens BUT new tools are nice. I am not a fan of the PSI mandrel with the rubber tube mentioned above but hey, you and others may find it acceptable. Good luck. It is fun to learn a new skill.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom