Clip Ring dimensions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

As part of my kitless endeavor, I am looking for clips that I can purchase and use. Many of the available clips are listed by the kit name, but do not include the dimensions of the ring. As an example, I just bought a package of Triton clips, but once I got them I realized that the outside diameter is a little big for what I am designing right now. Having never made a Triton before, I didn't know.
Sometimes, the bushing, is an indicator of the O.D. but not always.

Does anyone out there have a list of the dimensions for the various clips available? I am mainly looking for clips that are available separately.

Ring O.D
Ring I.D.
Ring thickness
Clip length
Clip solid/folded

If not, maybe we could compile them here in this post and I could put together a list for the library.

Example
Triton(now I know)
Ring O.D - 14.50mm .570"
Ring I.D. - 11.90mm .469"
Ring thickness - 0.88mm .034"
Clip length - 46mm 1.814"
Clip solid/folded - solid

Thanks all

Joey-Nieves

Usually you can determine the size by the the kits cap bushing size. These are available in the library or at the pen sellers site. most clips are flush with the finished barrel so therefore that bushing will determine the OD the ID is the tube inner dimension, that is also included in most instructions and in our library spreadsheet.

I make my caps around the clips, keep in mind that most your pens will be 12mm or 14 mm at the cap threads, for the fountain pens and you may be able to go with 10mm with the rollerballs.
Why these numbers; 10mm threads will leave you with an 8mm inner diameter for the section threads and the pumps tend to get stuck because you need 7.9mm(5/16) clearance and your threads are 7.8mm (I polish the pump and make it fit)
Know for a 12mm pen you thread the inside to 8.5 mm section and you have enough clearance. now you cap will be 14mm and most clips are 12.5 mm so theirs plenty of wood to work with.

Hope this helps
Joey

darrin1200

Thanks Joey

I just finished my second kitless yesterday but I don't want to post it on an open forum until the lucky recipient gets it.

Until now, I have only done roll stops. I just bought a few triton clips, and thought the 15.5 OD was to big. Last night i drew up a new design with a 15.5mm cap and 12x.75 threads using a #6 Jowo. I think its going to look ok. I'll post it when I'm done.

I wil probably pick up a few other clips to play with the size.

Top Bottom