Clip material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

What are you folks, who are making kitless pens, using for clip material?

I am having a hard time finding something with a little give without being flimsy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

How many "kitless" makers are actually making clips? I don't see what looks like homemade clips on most of the "kitless" pens I see posted here. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am having a hard time finding something with a little give without being flimsy.

Haynie

Virgil, I don't know who is and who is not making their own clips. I suppose those who are will answer the question. Those who buy their clips will not.

Thanks Constant.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I make many from sterling silver. Pretty springy when solution heat treated for strength or designed thick enough. I've also made a few from brass with intentions of having them plated but never got around to it.

penmaker56

I use hand forged heat treated sterling, or heavy cast sterling (next pen on the bench). The next pen I'm designing will use jewelry grade cast bronze for the clip.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some of the other members use a stainless wire or welding rod bent into the shape of the clip. ldb2000 did quite a few that way.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Don,

For various reasons, some of just don't post photos of our pens, it doesn't mean we don't make them anymore!

Haynie,

I use a lot of "rollerball" clips I purchased from Elliot Landes a while back and I also make my own clips from titanium sheet which is perfect for clip making. Just recently I got some 1/16" titanium rod and once I get a shape I like I will likely be using more rod than sheet.

How many "kitless" makers are actually making clips? I don't see what looks like homemade clips on most of the "kitless" pens I see posted here. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Didn't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers!
Don

Don,

For various reasons, some of just don't post photos of our pens, it doesn't mean we don't make them anymore!

Haynie,

I use a lot of "rollerball" clips I purchased from Elliot Landes a while back and I also make my own clips from titanium sheet which is perfect for clip making. Just recently I got some 1/16" titanium rod and once I get a shape I like I will likely be using more rod than sheet.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

How easy is it to cut, shape and polish Titanium by hand? I have a slimline pro kit that I'm looking to duplicate with the main parts aluminum and not sure yet about the clip. Would 1/16 aluminum work and if not would the titanium look good with the aluminum?

soligen

How easy is it to cut, shape and polish Titanium by hand? I have a slimline pro kit that I'm looking to duplicate with the main parts aluminum and not sure yet about the clip. Would 1/16 aluminum work and if not would the titanium look good with the aluminum?

1/16 aluminum is too soft. titanium is grey in color. Looks a lot like the black TI platings

Last edited:
Top Bottom