Cigar twist transmission dimensions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

I've purposed to create a kitless pen using a standard cigar transmission. I have the coupling and transmission, and am working out the design details--actually have the upper and lower sections tubed and turned which is actually coming out quite well. However, I'm puzzling over how to attach the upper section to the proximal end of the transmission. I'm measuring the transmission at 0.284 and have yet to discover a way to create a part to fit it. I suppose the cap will attach firmly to the upper transmission with access to the refill by unscrewing the tranny from the coupling. There is no removable nib.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

I may have just answered my own question. I just tried to slip an 8mm tube over the tranny and it's a perfect tight slip fit. The drawing (above) was based on a Euro style twist kit. The transmission included in the kit slipped loosely into the 8mm tube with a cap which tied everything together. Just struck me that I had not tried a standard cigar transmission and—voila!!—problem solved.:rolleyes:

It also looks like I'm going to need to make a few other dimensional adjustments. :eek:

Last edited:

KenV

Yup -- the 8 mm tube attaches to the finial/clip assembly in the standard twist Cigar pen. You have a fair amount of tolerance on the upper end

lwalper

OK, so now I'm in a bit of a quandry. I got some cigar center connectors thinking they would be 8mm on the bottom end -- they're not. It looks like they require a 10mm hole (they measure 0.366).

Does anyone make an 8mm connector to fit the 8mm cigar transmission?--something that will press into an 8mm lower tube instead of the 10mm? I'd like to make a "trim" pen using the G2 style refill instead of the more bulky 10mm cigar style.

Last edited:

lwalper

It looks like CSUSA has an Artisan Americana kit with 8mm tubes and twist mechanism. I wonder if they could supply the connector and if that connector would fit the standard cigar transmission?? Guess I need to contact them.

Top Bottom