Chasing Threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Topsy

Hello everyone,

I've been wondering about cutting threads lately and I remember seeing a specific post about it a few months ago, but I just can't seem to find it so I thought I'd just collect my thoughts here and ask a few questions. I would have had to do that at any rate.

I've been wanting to create kitless pens for a while now (actually it's the main reason why I got my lathe last year) and I've now soon got enough tooling and drills to get started on them.

The main issue I've got is the cap to body thread.
I know lots of my vintage pens use triple or even quad starters which is nice and everything, but not exactly cheap to start out with and then find that you need a different size later on :tongue:

Finding a 12x1 or even a 12x.75 die is proving to be nearly impossible locally. I've already had trouble with a 10x1 in the past, so I got wondering..

What about classic chasers (not taps and dies) to cut threads into acrylics?
Yes, there obviously would be a learning curve but I'd be ready for that.
I imagine not being bound to a certain diameter could be a big pro.

But are there any chasers fine enough to use on pens? And for internal threads?

And is it possible, with practice, to somehow create triple starters with a chaser? (this is what I believe I once read about somewhere..)

+ Multiple diameters
+ Develops new skills

- more expensive initially compared to a tap and die set
- learning curve

I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts on the subject!

Topsy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

The hard way

I have chased a few threads, but not in acrylics and have gone to 32 threads per inch single start. That fine a thread is very painful unless working in very dense even materials. It functioned with bone.

24 tpi to 10_tpi worked reasonably well with plastics like pvc and derylin(sp).

Curremt powered wood lathes are not set up for short arcs. spring pole lathes will do a repetitive arc. Ie turning a mug leaving a handle by only cutting on less than a revolution.

Metal lathe can be set up for multiple starts, but takes effort such that dies are much easier.

Paul in OKC

There are small enough 'chasers', as you call them to do small internal threads. One idea, especially for plastics is to grind off all but one tooth on a small tap. Short enough for stability. It gives you a single point tool. With a metal lathe, and a bit of understanding of thread depth, you can cut 3 or 4 start threads by setting up the compound parallel to the long axis and offsetting it for each thread. Don't know if there are any videos out there, but surely there are some where. Enjoy the adventure!

Topsy

Send a private message to Manupropria. He lives in your country and makes killer pens.

That's a great idea, I'll do that.
His pens look absolutely brilliant!

I find it quite amusing that someone from Canada would suggest I contact someone that is roughly 20minutes from me :biggrin:

edstreet

This was done with a chisel.

Attachments

• thread chasing.jpg
    thread chasing.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 171

leehljp

Member Liaison

Italia64

Top Bottom