Casting braided stainless steel probems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I have been trying to cast some braided stainless steel blanks using Alumilite and have been having some issues. I have been painting the tubes, allowing them to dry, attaching the braided stainless steel to the tube using CA, and after a few days I have been casting them in clear Alumilite. It appears that either the Alumilite is not adhering well to the stainless steel initially or the bond is being broken during the trimming ( sanding ) or turning process.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

I cast lots of braided stainless steel using Polyester Resin and have never had any problems.

Les

BraidedSSwithBlackTube.jpg

InsertSierraTube.jpg

SierraSSCableBlanksReadyForThePRMold.jpg

Reactions: Tim

MarkD

I cast lots of braided stainless steel using Polyester Resin and have never had any problems.

Les

InsertSierraTube.jpg

I have seen your castings and they are outstanding. Unfortunately I don't have any Polyester Resin. All I have is Alumilite. I'm not sure if this is the difference or not since Alumilite usually adheres very well.

What do you use to adhere the ss to the tube?

rd_ab_penman

Les

InsertSierraTube.jpg

I have seen your castings and they are outstanding. Unfortunately I don't have any Polyester Resin. All I have is Alumilite. I'm not sure if this is the difference or not since Alumilite usually adheres very well.

Mark,
I just stretch the braid tight on the tube and anchor at each end with Thin CA.

Les

its_virgil

Alumilite is not the best resin to use for casting materials wrapped onto the tubes such as snake skins, labels and braided sleeves. Polyester resin is a much better choice.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have been trying to cast some braided stainless steel blanks using Alumilite and have been having some issues.

Janster

Les

InsertSierraTube.jpg

Mark,
I just stretch the braid tight on the tube and anchor at each end with Thin CA.

Les

Nice work Les. How do you trim the sleeves at the ends? Thanks....Jan

Top Bottom