Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WatchRX

I'm not sure this is the correct section for this.
Has anyone tried casting or compressing ivory dust into a molded pen housing or solid blank?
I have over 12 pounds of ivory dust (saw dust). It's grainy and needs sifted but could it be mixed with epoxy or something?
Thank you, Todd

WatchRX

I think this belongs in blank making. Could someone move it or delete it.
Thank you

Curly

I would pretty much guarantee that no one has. Primary reason being the problems with Ivory trade and all the bans and controversy etc., that is associated with it. Even if it all comes from pre ban Ivory the burden of proof falls on you and I've no clue how you would do that. For your own use probably no problem but 12 pounds would make for a lot of personal pens.

To answer your question, you could mix it with a resin and cast it in moulds. Either blocks that would need to be cut and drilled for tubes to use in kit pens with the resulting waste. Or put glue on a tube, then roll in the Ivory and then cast in clear resin. That has been done with antler and would be the least wasteful.

WatchRX

You can search ebay for mammoth tusk and find quite a few listings for mammoth tusk, bark, ivory, knife scales..
I have a preban disclosure for the ivory saw dust from the same place (one of several) that still sells ivory online. Most of the mammoth ivory comes from Alaska or Siberia. The 10 pounds of ivory scrap i have came from ebay about 10 years ago.

Top Bottom