Brass or aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I'll agree with Bob, that you can use the same taps and dies, as long as you have good quality taps and dies. If you bought round HSS dies they will likely work fine on metal. If you bought hex carbon steel dies, they are intended to clean up metal threads, not cut new ones.

Good luck.

Ed

Tclem76

I'll agree with Bob, that you can use the same taps and dies, as long as you have good quality taps and dies. If you bought round HSS dies they will likely work fine on metal. If you bought hex carbon steel dies, they are intended to clean up metal threads, not cut new ones.

Good luck.

Ed

Thanks. I have bought so much lately but I know I bought the round dies and I think from victor machinery.

BSea

Good luck.

Ed
A better answer than mine. :good:

Not all Taps & Dies are equal.

duncsuss

Hi Tony, I've found that a spray can of cooking oil (Pam or your local supermarket's own cheaper brand) works quite well as a lubricant for cutting threads.

(For acrylics/ebonite as well as brass.)

Tclem76

Hi Tony, I've found that a spray can of cooking oil (Pam or your local supermarket's own cheaper brand) works quite well as a lubricant for cutting threads.

(For acrylics/ebonite as well as brass.)

Not sure I trust you Duncan. Lol. Thanks. I just picked up a can of it. Waiting on ebonite to come in. I'm going to try and sleeve some of them. To many wood blanks and really want to use some of my HRB also

JPMcConnel

If you live near an ACE hardware store you may wish to consider picking up a squeeze bottle of paraffin turbine oil for $2.99. The bottle comes equiped with a long delivery tube, the oil is clear, suitable for use with celluloid, and doesn't smell rancid as it ages as cooking oil can. I find the PAM smell can linger even with cleaning. I believe the bottle size on the oil is 4 ounces. You may find ir cheaper on Amazon as La-Co 4 ounce Zoom spout oiler 79704G. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/ounce-Zoom-sp...024&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Parafin+turbine+oil

Top Bottom