Best tap and die set to start with

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kendallqn

I want to make the move from customizing a pen kit a bit to making the whole pen myself. I was wondering what would be the best tap and dies to buy to get started with. I'm limited by my budget to 1 tap for the nibs and a tap and die for the cap to barrel. I'm leaning toward a 6.5 x .5 for the nibs as I think I can use that one for both #5 feed assembly's and the Schmidt rollerball. But have no idea which of the larger dies to go with. Also where is the best place to buy said dies. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Last edited:

BSea

You are doing it right IMHO. Select the style of pen you want to make, and buy the taps & dies for that style. When you decide on the cap size, you'll need to ask yourself if you really want to go the kitless route, or do you only want to do one occasionally for the fun of it. If you really intend to do custom/kitless pens a lot, then I'd go for the triple start version of the tap & die for the cap. Or a double start. There is another thread talking about a small group buy on those right now. Just be aware the double & triple start taps & dies are about 5 times the cost of single start versions. But there are several people who do kitless that only use single start. It's really a personal preference.

I buy almost all my standard taps & dies from Victor Machinery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom