Aluminum closed end wrapped in Walnut.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I had this concept pop in my head this week and needed something to show at the Houston IAP meeting Saturday. I essentially made a very slender aluminum closed end pen then glued it into a block of figured walnut. Turned the combined aluminum/walnut block. It is currently clipless but a clip can be added to the cap. Its a throw back to the 70's based aluminum and walnut architectural designs. The nib is a #5 Bock. Cap threads are 11mm and the pen OD is 0.55" (14mm).

Danny

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 338
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 342
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bpgoldo

Simple elegant design is seldom simple. The thought and skill and planning are all there to see and admire....and I do.

DMANTHEROCK

Very nice looking pen. I had this similar idea for turning material that wouldn't easily thread. Such as alumilite with metal flake or other objects castes into it. Instead of an aluminum body inside I was thinking just to use some black alumilite, and also keep the end closed for the outside material. But I really like the look of the aluminum showing through on the end.
Very sleek!

lhowell

Love it! looks like something that GQ would use as a prop for a photo shoot! Sleek and modern with a touch of retro styling! Beautiful!

More4dan

Very nice looking pen. I had this similar idea for turning material that wouldn't easily thread. Such as alumilite with metal flake or other objects castes into it. Instead of an aluminum body inside I was thinking just to use some black alumilite, and also keep the end closed for the outside material. But I really like the look of the aluminum showing through on the end.
Very sleek!

I left the aluminum thick on the end of the body and center drilled the end so I could turn the body between centers. After turning I faced the end enough to remove the dimple. A black core peeking out the end would look nice. My next chore is to taper the aluminum core and match the taper in the hole through the blank to add a bit more character/curve to the pen.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. This one was an idea that popped in my head that I had to crank out in a very long day. I've been working out some tweaks in my head to upgrade the looks a bit. A better transition from the body to the nib, tapered/curved body, finding the right clip for the cap, and a reverse inly in the cap finial to reflect the one on the body. I've also got several TruStone blanks to add to the mix.

Danny

Top Bottom