Almost ready

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dozuki

Well I have been ordering bits and pieces and pestering people for information and I think that I am almost ready to get started, once I get a few more boxes from the mail man. I have taps and dies and collets and chucks and a few drills. I even ordered a few rods of ebonite.

Now that I have come to my senses a little I'm thinking it might be a little goofy starting out with nice full rods of ebonite. So I'm wondering what I could practice on that will hold a thread nicely and won't cost a fortune.

I am wondering if anyone might have little nubs and short pieces that aren't up to being a pen that might be for sale. Or if someone could point me in the direction of good practice material that would be great too.

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

If you are talking about practice threading exercises, I would suggest Alumilite. You can buy single-colored Alumilite blanks from ExoticBlanks for $7 each. Alumilite threads very easily and beautifully

dozuki

Put my order in. I have to say they a very nice selection of colors of alumilite. Now all I need is patience and more patience. Hopefully I will be showing off a pen in a couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone for their advice on supplies and sites for obtaining the needed supplies.

Paul

Joey-Nieves

Remember to make plugs for the threads, once you got the outer diameter right the stress of making the inner diameter will break your work.
Some people make a Female threaded piece, like a nut, to help strengthen the part while you thread the inside thread.
others thread the inside, then make a threaded plug to give support while making the outside threads either way plugs are of great help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqGjTGbQNlA

dozuki

Thanks. That does sound like a really good idea. Are the plugs made with something special like delrin or can I just use a piece of my practice alumilite for the plugs. Seems like making a set of plugs for each set of tap/die might be order. And it will be good practice making them.

Joey-Nieves

Just make them from the same material your using, Acrylic, PR, Aluminite Even aluminum.
They just have to be the same thread size as you using.
I make aluminum rods with the threads for turning the body and cap, there some threads about this.

Joey

Top Bottom