360 herringbone how to????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I appreciate the fact you guys want it to be somewhat hush hush. This way, when I go build a few for me, they will be more valuable. Most of my artwork is the same sort of idea. I make originals, I do not sell the patterns and I hold the copyright so that it can not be legally reproduced. I do this so that people are buying the only one, and I do not build another. I don't want to build another, as that would be boring. And my price is much higher than average...sure I'm a capitalist. I sell blanks every so often too, and there is no money to be made in herringbone blanks, rather as Ed says..it's too much work. Because of that, you want there to be less quantity to drive up the final price. If you sit down and make a leaf blank, you will quickly realize that $45 for that is a gift from the heavens. Finally..chivalry is not completely dead. Some of us can make what others make and chose not to, or at least not to sell or say how it's done out of that respect. I wrote the herringbone on to my to do list, and eventually, I'll build one, and maybe by then, It will have cooled off to the point that everyone will restart the how how how debate again, lol.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Reminiscent

Well Neil, I've already got a prototype sitting in my "shop", just never took the time to make it in to a pen. Does that count for beating you to it?:biggrin::eek:

Now you two DO sound like Eagle. Dawn once proposed that a popcorn pen would be interesting, in the days when these debates turned nasty and the phrase, "Let's get some popcorn and sit and watch" was popular.

Eagle said he had already done that. Undaunted, Dawn popped some corn and made the pen, sending a pic to the bird. He did not know what it was and was astonished to find out it was popcorn, to which he said, "Well, I thought about doing it, before anyone else!!"

We loved Eagle, but, being a creative sort, once he figured out HOW to do it, it was a fait accompli in his mind.

Creative sorts are like that, I guess!! I'll ask Dawn, SHE'S creative!!

broitblat

I'm not sure I've followed all the different points of view on this thread, but ...

Seeing the results of someone else's inspiration, experimentation, and research is already sharing a lot, and I, for one, am grateful for the many great ideas that have been shared on this site. There is no reason why someone should be obligated to shave every detail of implementing their design if they don't want to, nor should they be obligated to even disclose why they don't want to. I respect their decision and appreciate that which they have been willing to share.

I am inspired by much of what I see here, whether I know how to do a similar technique or not (or could accomplish it even if I "knew" how). If the artists in our community were allowed to show only those pieces for which they also published a detailed tutorial, I fear our community would be a much lesser place.

-Barry

bdonald

akbar24601 But, I still think severak folks are overly concerned that once everyone figures out this top secret design that the market will be flooded with knockoffs, afterall it's just a herringbone design for crying outloud! If it's so time consuming, most won't even fool with it.

This hysteria reminds me of the celtic knots, for a while everyone had to make one, myself included, but it soon died down and I haven't made one in over a years now!

I was thinking the exact same thing. As I stated in another thread, I am visualizing it at this point because I cant reset the shop for the tools I need just yet. But if I'm correct <which I'm sure there's more than one way to make this beast>, I think people would lose interest quickly with the steps involved. Ron McIntyre <sp?> is a good example of that. He makes beautiful stuff, and after seeing his tutorials and work, I've lost interest in making them. 1 because his stuff is so darned amazing and whatever I make would just be a lame copy, and 2, it can get more involved than I'm willing to do. If I'm going to put that much effort into something, I'd rather it be something I can call my own. I never could work from plans in other aspects of woodworking, cant start now! I agree that the imitators will filter out.

wood-of-1kind

Where's Mike Vickery(vick)? Remember him, he made/makes the 'best' herringbone patterned pens that I've seen by far. Mike if you're out there, chime in and share a bit of your wisdom.

Gloat: I happen to own one of his herringbone FP. I've made a few blanks (herringbone) but I can't hold a candle to his work.

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Where's Mike Vickery(vick)? Remember him, he made/makes the 'best' herringbone patterned pens that I've seen by far. Mike if you're out there, chime in and share a bit of your wisdom.

Gloat: I happen to own one of his herringbone FP. I've made a few blanks (herringbone) but I can't hold a candle to his work.
I knew there had to be more than the few I knew of. It's good to know that they are around, but I am still asking the question "Who developed it?". I would like to give credit where credit is due.

Don Gaiser

Well, I have been messing around in Lightwave 3D trying to figure this out.... everything I have tried has thus failed.
01.gif

twoofakind

Well I've been trying to picture this in my head since I found this thread yesterday. I will agree with what everyone has said....get out to the shop and try it! After a few failed tries, I figured it out. I am glad there wasn't written instructions on this as I would have missed the journey of figuring it out on my own and getting in some quality shop time.
That being said....this blank takes patience and a ridiculous amount of work.

bdonald

Well I've been trying to picture this in my head since I found this thread yesterday. I will agree with what everyone has said....get out to the shop and try it! After a few failed tries, I figured it out. I am glad there wasn't written instructions on this as I would have missed the journey of figuring it out on my own and getting in some quality shop time.
That being said....this blank takes patience and a ridiculous amount of work.

Cool, looking forward to seeing the finished product. We are of like minds, I can imagine the feeling of accomplishment after it was done. I kind of figured this was going to require a bunch of work even after you figure out the method.

TribalRR

Not that it makes much difference but the first 360 herringbone I saw was faber castel's... Then BRobbins posted his that was made directly on the tube. I then made and posted mine that was made from a solid blank. Though I have give advice to many people, Neil is the only one that finished one and I asked him to keep it a secret. So if anyone has an issue with him not telling can blame me ;)

twoofakind

I think it will be interesting to see how many ways people come up with to make this design. I can't wait to compare notes...with the attention this thing is getting, it won't take long I'm sure.

akbar24601

Though I have give advice to many people, Neil is the only one that finished one and I asked him to keep it a secret. So if anyone has an issue with him not telling can blame me ;)

Darn you Chip, I hate you!!!! You should be banished from the earth, NAY, the Milky Way!!!!! :mad-tongue: I also blame you for my puppy dying when I was five! Thanks alot!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Not that it makes much difference but the first 360 herringbone I saw was faber castel's... Then BRobbins posted his that was made directly on the tube. I then made and posted mine that was made from a solid blank. Though I have give advice to many people, Neil is the only one that finished one and I asked him to keep it a secret. So if anyone has an issue with him not telling can blame me ;)
Thanks Chip, the one last great secret that was aggravating people is out, Whom I gave my word to. I believe everyone out here has figured out that my word means a lot to me.:)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
But, I still think severak folks are overly concerned that once everyone figures out this top secret design that the market will be flooded with knockoffs, afterall it's just a herringbone design for crying outloud!
So why did someone have to start making a big deal out of it when they could have let a sleeping dog rest. You know how it is sometimes, someone just has to go and stir the pot for their own entertainment.

ElMostro

OK, after about 10 mins of thinking and an hour in the shop I got something...no pictures yet...but will post as soon as I take and re-size the the pics.

Eugene

Texatdurango

So why did someone have to start making a big deal out of it when they could have let a sleeping dog rest. You know how it is sometimes, someone just has to go and stir the pot for their own entertainment.

wolftat I don't understand your post at all. You wait four days to reply to a post that wasn't directed towards you at all and then only include part of the quote! What's going on... thread slowing down, need to keep the discussion going? Gimme a break!

Here is what was said and I see no reason to recant anything...

Originally Posted by akbar24601
George, I don't feel that you are being fair in your chastisement of Ed.
kbar24601 don't read too much into anything Ed and I say to each other, we enjoy pulling each others chain now and then. But, I still think severak folks are overly concerned that once everyone figures out this top secret design that the market will be flooded with knockoffs, afterall it's just a herringbone design for crying outloud! If it's so time consuming, most won't even fool with it.

This hysteria reminds me of the celtic knots, for a while everyone had to make one, myself included, but it soon died down and I haven't made one in over a years now!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
wolftat I don't understand your post at all. You wait four days to reply to a post that wasn't directed towards you at all and then only include part of the quote! What's going on... thread slowing down, need to keep the discussion going? Gimme a break!
If you reread what I wrote, you may see that it was actually agreeing with you. If you took it another way, I apologize for that. I wasn't pointing any fingers, I was just making a general comment about how I saw it and was using a quote from what you posted. I never asked you to recant anything. Relax and take a deep breathe.

Top Bottom