3 Start Threading on your new metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here is a method of making 3 start threaded parts for your capped pens.
Before I get shot down in flames, I appreciate that purists will say the topslide SHOULD be set at 29deg etc etc, but I believe that with shallow fine cuts that doing it this way is just fine.
I will need to add some text that I couldn't fit on some of the pics.
This is just repetitive text so I'll only write it once even though you will have to repeat it several times. :biggrin:

The pics are numbered in the sequence that they are done, T1, T2 etc

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 572
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 560
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 544
  • T4.jpg
    T4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 568
  • T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 567
  • T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
more..

Attachments

• T7.jpg
    T7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 503
  • T8.jpg
    T8.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 481
  • T9.jpg
    T9.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 466
  • T10.jpg
    T10.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 469
  • T12.jpg
    T12.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 502
  • T13.jpg
    T13.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 505

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
May needs some text here..

When you have done the first 'scratch' cut, back off the cross slide, then reverse the carriage till the cutter is back above the relief area near the tailstock. Now set the Topslide to zero.Now put the Cross slide back to the zero that you have already set.
I did each thread with two passes, first at 0.5mm then at 1.0mm. Remember to back off the Cross slide before reversing the machine back to the beginning.
Also remember to switch the machine from reverse to forward !!!Or you will crash and burn!!

Attachments

• T14.jpg
    T14.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 423
  • T15.jpg
    T15.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 432
  • T16.jpg
    T16.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 440
  • T17.jpg
    T17.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 415
  • T18.jpg
    T18.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 451
  • T19.jpg
    T19.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
When the first thread is complete, and you have reversed the machine back to the beginning, simply advance the Topslide by 1mm. Now just repeat like you did for the first thread.
Same again when the second one is finished.
Things to remember are;
Don't forget to back off the cross slide before reversing.
Don't forget to switch back to forward before cutting
Don't lose your zero points
and NEVER dissengage the Half -Nuts till the job is complete.

These instructions are for a manual change gearbox and a metric lathe doing metric cuts but the principle should work on any lathe

My next little pictorial will show how to use this threaded rod to make pen parts and to make a tap for the cap threads.

Attachments

• T20.jpg
    T20.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 458
  • T21.jpg
    T21.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 406
  • T22.jpg
    T22.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 497
  • T24.jpg
    T24.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 430
  • T25.jpg
    T25.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 392
  • T26.jpg
    T26.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,555
  • T27.jpg
    T27.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

Jim15

Thank you for the tutorial, way above my capabilities but it gives me a little knowledge of something I had no idea about.

Dan_F

Thanks for taking the time to do this, can't wait to see the next installment. This is rekindling my desire to get a metal lathe.

Dan

Chuck Key

Skip, you make it look easy but I wish you had put it in English or at least TPI. I use a mini lathe that many people here have and set it to 6 TPI then cut 4 starts into that or the equivalent of 24 TPI. Were you advance the top slide 1mm I advance mine 1/24 inch which is .041666 or .042 inches. That is one full turn plus 2 tick marks on the top slide :). Where you advance two times I advance the top slide three times to get to 4 starts. Where your thread depth is 1mm mine is .032 inches. I will not go into the calculations to get the depth of cut. Fortunately all these numbers are available in charts. The next time I do this I am going to see how your three start looks. That would be only two one full turns on my top slide for the threads and one full turn on the cross slide for the depth.

Can not wait to see your tap.

I have been using the above procedure on the female threads as well :frown:

Chuckie

Last edited:

workinforwood

Pretty sure my lathe is metric and I do prefer metric over standard. The numbers are just so much simpler to understand. There's no fractions to convert. I can't study this right now because I"m running off to work, but now that you have a triple start threaded rod, how are you going to match that inside a cap??? That seems quite intimidating. I'd be pretty darn happy with a single start thread. I have been looking around in a few magazines and have yet to find a boring bar and thread cutter that fit's inside a 3/8-1/2" size hole. look forward to seeing what you do with this threaded rod you made!

jleiwig

Pretty sure my lathe is metric and I do prefer metric over standard. The numbers are just so much simpler to understand. There's no fractions to convert. I can't study this right now because I"m running off to work, but now that you have a triple start threaded rod, how are you going to match that inside a cap??? That seems quite intimidating. I'd be pretty darn happy with a single start thread. I have been looking around in a few magazines and have yet to find a boring bar and thread cutter that fit's inside a 3/8-1/2" size hole. look forward to seeing what you do with this threaded rod you made!

Could he make his rod into a tap? If he wasn't tapping anythign overly hard he could just cut flutes into his rod to make a tap from it.

workinforwood

Steve..I see you have a tool in which to compare your thread cutter to. A guage would be a better word. Is there different size cutters for different threads, or does one cutter pretty much cover all threads?

Russianwolf

Jeff, the size isn't as important as the angle. Notice on the gauge that the one side is 60", while there is 55" on the opposite.

60" is the standard for us. But as long as both the internal and external threads match in terms angle, you're fine.

glycerine

Can I do this with pretty much any decent metal lathe? I'm looking into getting one, but it definitely needs to cut threads or there's no point in my opinion. Or is it just as easy to get and use a tap and die?

Gin N' Tonic

You know something?

I made a lathe dog that straddles the jaw of my chuck so all I have to do is cut one thread, switch to the next jaw and cut another, switch again and I'm done.

Psssst, works well on my 4-Jaw chuck to :wink:

Got another lathe dog that hooks into the faceplate If I want to get fancy with more starts. I have also been fiddling with interrupted start threads and found that they work quite well with a single thread. But I'm still trying to perfect it before I try iy on a pen that I sell.

Top Bottom