1 1/2" die holder... any interest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Thanks MarkD and Curly.

Have never dealt with RDG bt have purchased several items from Chronos, their service (and delivery times) is excellent.

Having said that, I'll make my own:wink:

BigShed

Seeing that I just paid for my triple start 14mm tap and die set I thought I'd better get cracking on making a die holder for the 1.5" die in the set.

I already have the die holder from Little Machine Shop, but the largest die it accepts is 1".

George's post got me thinking that the 1" die holder could be used to hold a 1.5" adapter.

So I knocked up a couple yesterday (one for a penmaking friend)

Attachments

• IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 154

Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Seeing that I just paid for my triple start 14mm tap and die set I thought I'd better get cracking on making a die holder for the 1.5" die in the set.

I already have the die holder from Little Machine Shop, but the largest die it accepts is 1".

George's post got me thinking that the 1" die holder could be used to hold a 1.5" adapter.

Fred, yours and mine could be twins! Looking good! What would you charge for one of those? I've had lots of pm's about me making a few but my little lathe takes forever to knock one out so I'm bowing out of the adapter making business. :)

Actually I'm surprised that the toolmakers/sellers on the forum haven't stepped up to this oppurtunity yet!:confused:

BigShed

Fred, yours and mine could be twins! Looking good! What would you charge for one of those? I've had lots of pm's about me making a few but my little lathe takes forever to knock one out so I'm bowing out of the adapter making business. :)

Actually I'm surprised that the toolmakers/sellers on the forum haven't stepped up to this oppurtunity yet!:confused:

Sorry George, just realised I should have posted that in your other thread, which I have now done, and I was going to delete this post.

So now there are 2 as I can't delete mine anymore!

To answer your question, not sure that I would want to make these for other people. It's not that they are hard to make, just time consuming.
There are quite a few steps in the machining of these, plus they have to be made out of 50mm aluminium, as well as the drilling and tapping for the grub screws has to be rather exact to match the dimples in the dies.

That is probably the reason that other people haven't stepped up to the plate. I think your machinist mate's estimate of a minimum of $40 in a batch of 12 was a pretty reasonable quote IMHO.

I made 2 yesterday, didn't time myself exactly, but I did about an hour and a half before lunch and about another 3 1/2 hours after lunch, add to that the cost of the aluminium and 3 6mm grub screws and he wouldn't get rich on that.

If you could make these on a CNC machine it would be a lot quicker and therefore cheaper.

Anyway, if people are desperate, I can make a few but would prefer to do them as a batch rather than individually, this would save some setting up time in changing from external to internal jaws on the chuck, setting up the mill and rotary table etc.

rogerwaskow

????????

Hi guys

Anything new interests me and I am trying to follow what you guys do. I have this idea that you guys turn your own pen parts and use the tap and dies to do the threads. Do you use your timber lathe or am I totally on the wrong track. Sorry for sounding stupid but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi guys

Anything new interests me and I am trying to follow what you guys do. I have this idea that you guys turn your own pen parts and use the tap and dies to do the threads. Do you use your timber lathe or am I totally on the wrong track. Sorry for sounding stupid but my curiosity is getting the better of me.
Hi Roger, and, welcome. I have turned these parts on my timber lathe but, have found it much easier on my newly aquired metal lathe. The tools referrenced in this thread will work fine on either.

Last edited:

MarkD

I sent an email regarding one of the die holders I found on ebay and I actually received a response back. The die holder I asked about was:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIE-HOLDER-LATH...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item45f96d2226

They said the total cost including shipping to the US would be $77 USD.

I also asked about their "deluxe model" :
http://cgi.ebay.com/RDG-TOOLS-LATHE...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item519a4f2976

I was told this set would be $112 USD shipped to the US .

Additionally, I asked if they could give us a better price if we ordered 20 sets shipped to a single US address. They did not respond to that question.

evjenkins

Die Holder

The current issue of Home Shop Machinist has a decent article on making a floating die holder for the tail stock of pretty much any lathe.

Texatdurango

The current issue of Home Shop Machinist has a decent article on making a floating die holder for the tail stock of pretty much any lathe.

Not knowing anything about it, just the name.... Home Shop Machinist sounds like it's going to be outside the realm of 99% of those here. But for those who might have the tools, do you perhaps have a link to the article or do we have to subscribe to see it?

Curly

Here is a link to Home Shop Machinist Magazine.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home

The issue (July/August) should be on the shelves of any good magazine store.

Scanning the article and posting it kind of violates the copyright and could get the forum in legal do do. :eek:

The holder in the article is scratch built from steel, including the morse taper, and is a very nice tool. It is basically similar to the one LMS sells and some of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread from England.

evjenkins

Die Holder

Curly is right about the legalities. However, if you do the link for Home Shop Machinist above and ask for a sample copy it will probably be the current issue with the article in it.

Texatdurango

Curly is right about the legalities. However, if you do the link for Home Shop Machinist above and ask for a sample copy it will probably be the current issue with the article in it.

You seem to be familiar with the site so could you perhaps answer a question..... When I'm on the machinist site and click on "Features" from their menu then click "Article Index" a list of articles is displayed but clicking on any of them only pops up a blank window with the article title and author but no article. It was mentioned that loading articles might be slow but I've had windows open for up to 10 minutes with no change.

I'm wondering if one has to be a subscriber to see the articles? Anyone have any luck seeing the articles?

Curly

George

All you get with the index is the article name, author, and issue number. It doesn't open to the article for you to read. I don't think they have an online issue system at this time at all. The info will help you locate the back issue to buy if you want from their store or let you find the article in your own pile of issues, if you have them.

The British magazine, Model Engineers' Workshop, does have an online subscription (29.99 pounds, about $50.00US) that also allows access to their back issues if an online subscriber. They have had articles on making tap / die holders etc., in the past. If you get the magazine subscription you also have access to the online back issues too, but for more money.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=490

Texatdurango

OK......... it appears that many are still wrestling with finding a holder for their new 1 1/2" die. For those folks, this MIGHT be of interest to you........

I ordered in some material and this afternoon made a complete stand-alone tool which holds a 1 1/2" die in one end and a standard 1" die in the other end.

This tool is totally stand-alone so does not require an existing holder so for those with nothing now, this should solve your problems.

If interested, visit this thread in the classifieds for further discussion....
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1280019#post1280019

Curly

You would have to bore out or sleeve the hole in the Victornet die holder to match the LMS stationary part. Easier though is just put a rod or old drill bit in your Jacobs chuck and use the die holder on that. It's what I did and for the plastics we use for pens it is easy enough to turn by hand.

BigShed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Found this old thread and wondered if anyone has found an adaptor for the LMS die holder. As I'm just getting my feet wet in the kitless world, what does everyone else to hold the 1 1/2" dies?

Another thought, can the die holder from Victornet be modified to fit the LMS die holder? 1-1/2" Round Die Holder with 3/4" Shank

I regularly make these by request

1 1/2" Die holder adapters

They are $US50 inc postage to the US
Hi Fred! I thought of you as soon as I saw this thread re-appear but, wasn't sure if you were still making these. Good to see you stopping in. :wink:

BJ, I recommend you gather up one of these from Fred. He knows kitless pens AND, the tools it takes to make them. :wink: He does quality work.

drise

I have the LMS 1" die holder. Got the Victornet 1.5" die holder for a 14mm die and the LMS shaft is the same size as the through hole on the Victornet.

Top Bottom