Small Lathe Buying Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skubasteeve

I am looking at picking up a small lathe to replace my 36" Rockwell Beaver as I mainly do pens.

I am looking for something on the cheaper side

I have seen the General Pen Lathe and the HF lathes as well.

The General pen lathe seems to not have the greatest reviews on IAP... and the HF lathes cost a fortune to ship to Canada.

Is there something else that I should/could consider?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

I'm with Dan, the Nova looks like a nice lathe for the cost, but my first love was a Rikon 1216VS and I still love it as a second lathe! It's dependable, sturdy, and flawless... You have to go a long way before you can beat their customer service... I currently have a Jet 1221VS and like it alot, which is a great sturdy and larger than life 'mini lathe', but still think a Rikon is a better buy for the money... Check them out before purchasing...note...Jet, has a brand new VS midi/larger lathe out that you might consider too... Remember, buy as large a lathe as you can afford as you WILL outgrow it in time... Safe turning to you always!

Skie_M

I paid $109 after tax on my Harbor Freight mini wood lathe. It's kinda light on the power, but I have no problems making pens with it at all.

Top Bottom