Review - GluBoost - A Liquid Finish For Wood - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Product Testing & Review Member testing & reviews of equipment, tools, kits, parts, and supplies.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Review - GluBoost - A Liquid Finish For Wood

A few months ago I was asked to do a demo at the Midwest Penturners Gathering on finishing. At that same time I had the opportunity through a Chicago based turning club to talk directly with a manufacturer of a liquid finish generally used in the high end woodworking and musical instrument repair arena – GluBoost. I had a series of good, technical conversations before I decided to try the product. Before MPG I only had a few days to try it, but since then it has become my “Go To” finish for all my wood pens. I demonstrated it at the AAW conference in Portland with great interest. Below are my observations and why I like it so much.

Advantages:

• GluBoost is a professional finish. The application is fast, easy and safe. First and foremost with respect to safety, the viscosity is such that I found I can apply it by hand with the lathe off. Simply hand turn and apply with the grain. The lathe is not spinning. Blue paper towel. This allows me to control the application, it self-levels and unlike typical CA finishes, I get no lines from the product spin drying because of air flow which I eventually have to sand out.

• Only a few coats does it. I have been using only 4 – 5 coats. The first two are the “Fill n’ Finish Pro Formula” to give me a good base. I have been using the GluDry accelerator in between. Then I like to use a very light touch #0000 steel wool (lathe off) to just knock it down. Finally two or three coats of “Fill n’ Finish Pro Formula Thin”. Micromesh starting at 4000. Polish. Buff. Done. If you have ever heard me talk in the past I had an elaborate three day process of three coats of thin / dry overnight, steel wool, then repeated three times. Sincerely I can now be done in ten minutes. I have heard people having to undercut the bushing because they apply 20 some coats of finish. I haven’t seen the need to go over five. The result is water clear and glossy.

• The GluDry accelerator is marketed as applied “with no bubbles, pitting, hazing, crazing, blooming, yellowing or white spots.” I know these are issues with many of us and I read these questions on the board all the time. Generally I have been against accelerators, but after the conversations I had, and their understanding of the chemical process and humidity / moisture issues of wood, I accepted using it and the results with the accelerator are exceptional. Fast and easy – a little knock down with steel wool.

• Now for the exciting part. The system can accept a tint. You can change the color of the wood to anything you want – yet get the beauty of the grain comes through because it is a surface coloring – not a stain. I have been playing a lot with the amber coloring and have included a picture below of a 25 cent maple blank enhanced with the colorant to get a unique piece. And all you do is mix the “Fill n’ Finish Pro Formula Thin” with the master tint color(s) you want and apply like mentioned above – lathe off / paper towel / with the grain. I have tried two coats to vary color and love the effect. Then a few coats of clear and done.

The only open issue I have is simply I have only used it for a few months and only over a few dozen species of wood – so I look forward to your comments. I have used it over half wood / half acrylic pens and it went on smooth. If you decide to try it – please let me know your results. I know Ed Brown from ExoticBlanks asked me for contact info at the MPG and is now carrying it on his website and posted his first pen in my AAW Portland link. I think that one looks great.

I have attached some pictures. I classic wood pen with 4 coats of GluBoost. The half wood / half acrylic I mentioned above. And finally the amber tinted maple blank. I caution I am not a photographer so please be kind to my skills there.

If you have any question or comments – let me know. For anyone going to Turn On! Chicago I will be demoing it there and will have it available for the Friday night “Pens For Troops” turning session.
Attached Thumbnails
img_9114a.jpg   img_9113a.jpg   img_9100a.jpg   img_9112a.jpg   gluboost.jpg  

mg_dreyer is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 149

Nice review. This is a CA based finish right? Does is say if there is anything in the mix that makes it flexible? I am just curious as I know that this is a feature of some others. Also is there a smell as it cures like there is with a regular CA glue finish?

Thanks for posting. I am going to have to try it. :)
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 66

Thank you for the review. Sounds great.
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Would this be suitable for large items like bowls and hollow forms?

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Be VERY cautious when dealing with products that refuse to post the ingredients such as which form of CA they are using and also accelerator. It’s listed as “trade secret” and there is a heavy refusal to tell you what it’s based on. Be it ECA, MCA, OCA, acetone etc.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 83

To me there are alot of questions that get asked alot here all the time and you did not even touch them.

How is the odor??
Being it has an accelorator I assume it is a CA, are there different viscosities, thin, med, heavy??
Is it a hard based finish, flexible or even dent proof???
What size container will it come in??
Does it have a UV protector in it??
Is there a spec sheet on it???
Is there a cure time for it???
Can it be used as an adhesive and will it stick to all surfaces such as acrylics???
Does it polish out with the same methods of MM???
Always tough to see photos and judge sheen and shine so we have to rely on you first hand or anyone else who used it to make those comparisons, how does it compare to any other finish you have been using???
I am sure there are many other ????
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Thanks for starting the conversation on this product. Anxious to try with the tints. Package coming tomorrow.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

First of all, thank you for the review. But I have a question a little different than some of the others posed already. What I'm unsure about is mainly the price point. If I were to buy the, "starter pack," which would inclued the 2oz thin, 2oz base, and a bottle of accelator my total would come up to $42 (via exoticblanks.com). If I were to buy the somewhat equivalent of the Stickfast brand (2.5oz thin, 2.5oz medium, 7.5oz accelerator), my total would come up to be $20.65 (via exoticblanks.com).

I don't come close to using 20 coats of CA with the Stickfast brand, but the properties of GluBoost you claim would make me want to try the product. However, is the reduction in glue usage and sanding time going to make up the vast difference in cost? I'm definitely willing to pay more for better performance, but $20 more? That is a different question!
Chief TomaToe is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRobbins629 View Post
Thanks for starting the conversation on this product. Anxious to try with the tints. Package coming tomorrow.
Bruce you have been around a long time and have been pen making for a long time, just curious why is it you need to try the product?? Are you not happy with what you are using now or looking for something in particular. I get the theory of trying new things that come on the market, but if you have found something and have had good results from it why mess with success. You now have to set this product through its paces with reliability for the customer and all the other tests you have already done that have proven to be within your guidlines or else you would still be looking all these years. Just the curious side of me asking. No hard reason in there.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsfn2 View Post
Nice review. This is a CA based finish right? Does is say if there is anything in the mix that makes it flexible? I am just curious as I know that this is a feature of some others. Also is there a smell as it cures like there is with a regular CA glue finish?

Thanks for posting. I am going to have to try it. :)
Ron,

It is CA based and there is a smell. The smell is no more than than my current brand, I believe it to be less, but this is subjective, so I cannot measure it. As for flexibility, there are a few different mixtures available - from dent repair to ding repair - remember this is a high end wood and instrument repair system - that leaves a great finish. I have only used the thin, but to address your last question I did look on their website - "Fill n’ Finish products are flexible and non creeping so they can be used in areas where CA, and other adhesives have been used before (but now with increased performance and super-clear results)".

As mentioned I only use the thin.

Thanks,
Mark
mg_dreyer is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads