Carbide Cutters for DIY Turning Chisel Makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wingnut720

As I desired to give the "carbide" turning chisels a try some time ago, but was scared away by the price , I made my own. I made two "mid-size" chisels using 3/8" bar stock and the "name brand" replacement cutters. My $60 to $80 chisels cost me a whopping $18 to $20 each. After using them, and realizing they would forever be a part of my turning future, I decided to step up to the heavy duty 1/2" bar stock full-size chisels, and figured I would shop around a bit for alternate cutters . BEHOLD!!!! I struck pay dirt!!! AZ Carbide in Chandler, Arizona is my new carbide best friend. I ordered two 15mm square cutters, two 15mm R2 cutters, and one 16mm round cutter for my new projects. The square and radius cutters were less than $6 each and the round was less than $11!!!!!! What a savings, and they were shipped and received in two days for only $2 shipping (if my memory doesn't fade.) Believe me, the quality is absolutely amazing. They include a new screw for each cutter and come in a nice little plastic case for safekeeping. My new chisels, which would cost $80 to $140 each depending on the manufacturer, cost me a whopping $10 to $15 each...bar stock and cutters...and the handles were turned for free from scrap oak I had lying around. All you DIY chisel makers...check them out at www.azcarbide.com You won't be sorry!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

+1 for AZ carbide.....I just got some new inserts myself and for very reasonable.

I have ordered from Capt Eddie many times, and I know he was having some health issues but I thought they were behind him...his website does not work...anybody know his status?
He is an awesome guy and moved wood turning forward in his life....

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you really want a good price on cutters, check out Captain Eddie Castelin at Big Guy Productions - *

That link doesn't work.

I buy my cutters from Global Tooling & Supply for $2.84 ea including shipping.

I just tried that link & it worked for me.

Capt. Eddie's web site does seem to have problems from time to time, but he is back making videos - he just posted another last week. I ordered some cutters from him a few weeks ago & received them in short order.

Cutters may be a little cheaper elsewhere, but I like to support the Capt for all he has been through & all that he has done & continues to do for us wood turners.

Top Bottom