Pen Maker's Challenge - Week 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Ok people, we had such a great turn out during the 1st week, lets see if we can do it again. Here are the rules recapped;

1. All pens MUST be made specifically for each contest. What you do with the pen after is your business.

2. All pens entered must be made to the specification of each contest.

3. All pens must be entered in the alloted time.

Contestants will be judged anonymously and there will be a 1st and 2nd prize for each contest. Winners and pictures will be posted at the end of each contest along with the rest of the entrants. Thanks everyone, now go have some fun and get those pens going!!!!!

This weeks challenge will be a MODIFIED SLIMLINE (sorry Ron). This pen must be made of wood and or stabilized wood only. Modify this pen any way you wish but you MUST use the Cross refill and the transmission from the Slimline kit. Any or all other parts from the kit can be used or omitted.

Please send your entries along with your name and IAP name to;

2008BashChallenge@penturners.org

This contest will end Jan. 15th at noon PDT

Now go have some fun and good luck!

OK everyone, we have our winners. Judging was hard because the entries were so great. All these guys should be congratulated on their entries, they're great!!!! Winners, please drop a line to our prize givers and thank them for their generous donations. Stevej72, please contact me with your snail mail address. Here are the results;

1st Place: Armyturner
$50 Gift Certificate from Lee Valley

2nd Place: UKpenmaker
$25 Gift Certificate from Craft Supplies USA

Honorable Mention: Stevej72
Box of blanks from Blind_squirrel

Here are the entries:

Armyturner
200811615321_armyturner.jpg

UKpenmaker
2008116153332_UKpemaker.jpg

Stevej72
2008116153536_stevej72.jpg

Alphageek
2008116153948_alphageek.jpg

Sparhawk
2008116154130_sparhawk.jpg

Spinter99
2008116154239_splinter99.jpg

CaptG
2008116154344_captG.jpg

Chuck Key
2008116154437_ckuckey.jpg

THarvey
2008116154637_view.jpg

Greenmtnguy
2008116154819_greenmtnguy.jpg

1JaredSchmidt
200811615523_jared.jpg

Jimwill48
2008116155324_jimwill48.jpg

Congratulations everyone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by wudnhed
This pen must be made of wood and or stabilized wood only.

So I take this to mean absolutely no metal, acrylics, resins, etc. or segments or inlays using anything other than wood. Is this correct? If so, what about the nib, clip, and finial - wood too?

wudnhed

Originally posted by mrcook4570

This pen must be made of wood and or stabilized wood only.

So I take this to mean absolutely no metal, acrylics, resins, etc. or segments or inlays using anything other than wood. Is this correct? If so, what about the nib, clip, and finial - wood too?

Hi Stan, my meaning is, you can use natural woods, stabilized woods, dyed woods. You can segment if you wish, with woods, but the emphasis should be on the modification. You can use or omit any part of the slimline kit but it is mandatory to use the transmission and refill. I hope that clears the muddy mess I made [:p]

Scott

I hope everybody is busy making their modified slimline! There is so much you can do with a slimline kit. And we have so many adventuresome, innovative people here, I can hardly wait to see the entries!

Scott.

GaryMGg

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

I made one but I bet it isn't good enough,but I'll enter it anyway.[V]
Chin up! You have plenty of time. If you're not satisfied with your entry, make another.
If the second doesn't work out, make another. When time is running out, submit the one you like the best. :D
I doubt any of us makes just one special pen before we get to where we want it to be. ;)

alphageek

Former Moderator
I agree with Gary - enter something. If you're happy with it - then its good enough. I entered a slim in last weeks contest.. I did it just for the challenge of trying to put together a combination that was new. I had seen each of the components, but not all tied together in that way. I have a ton of respect for the people on this site so I didn't expect much. I was then shocked to have taken 2nd place.

Chuck Key

Hi Stan, my meaning is, you can use natural woods, stabilized woods, dyed woods.

So no metal, acrylic, resin, etc. Wood only. Is this correct?

Yes except for the metal from the kit.

Can the metal parts from the kit such as nib, center band, clip etc be modified or replaced with other materials?

Chuckie

GaryMGg

Becca,

Jared's post gives me an idea; can we find more prizes and offer an {optional*} category for new turners -- something for folks with 20 or less pens and Ron Mc, who doesn't quite understand slimline terminology ;).

*optional meaning one wouldn't have to submit in that category if they didn't want to, but they could if they choose to and qualify.

wudnhed

Originally posted by Chuck Key

Hi Stan, my meaning is, you can use natural woods, stabilized woods, dyed woods.

So no metal, acrylic, resin, etc. Wood only. Is this correct?

Yes except for the metal from the kit.

Can the metal parts from the kit such as nib, center band, clip etc be modified or replaced with other materials?

Chuckie

You can use or discard all or parts of the kit but you must use the transmission and refill! If you want to modify the nib, centerband or clip it must be from wood. Good luck!

Scott

Originally posted by GaryMGg

. . . can we find more prizes and offer an {optional*} category for new turners . . .

Hi Gary,

We briefly considered making these challenges for different levels of expertise each week. We discussed what the level of expertise could be, and how we would define them. But I suggested we not do that. It is not for any of us to define someone's skill level for them. I suggested that we design challenges that would appeal to different levels of expertise, but let everyone define their own skill level by deciding to rise to the challenge. I figured we would have some pleasant surprises with this approach, and we already have!

The people at the IAP I often learn the most from, are the newest, most inexperienced members! They haven't learned what they "can't" do yet, so they do whatever they feel like, and often come up with something very special!

For those of you who are wondering if your work is good enough for the Challenge, I want you to know that not only is it good enough, we are honored that you would choose to share your best work with us! Thank you!

Scott.

Ron Mc

When does this one end? I just noticed that all I have to use is a transmission and cross refill.

Yes Don....I do have one transmission and one refill.....Thanks for offering!:D;)

wudnhed

Originally posted by Ron Mc

When does this one end? I just noticed that all I have to use is a transmission and cross refill.

Yes Don....I do have one transmission and one refill.....Thanks for offering!:D;)

JAN. 15th noon pacific time.

UKpenmaker

I can't believe i got 2nd place.:D
Congrats to Jeremy (Armyturner) & well done to all the other entries, there were some very good pens there.[8D]

This was the first twist nib pen that i have done.[:0]
I will post my other pen that i had made in the SOYP forum.

NCWoodworker

Those are great pens, everyone! I really enjoyed looking through the pix. Nice work and congratulations to the winners!

...also...very generous of Lee Valley and Craft Supplies USA!

Chris

Nolan

Very nice collection of pens from the group, I only wish I had the time to get in the shop and participate in the challenges:(

Top Bottom