IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 9 JAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Welcome to the ninth day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>. You will have until 12 noon ET tomorrow to email your answer to this question. "PLEASE" be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 9.....

Question: The great majority of the wood that we turn into pens and pencils is a few tens of years old or at most 100-300 years old if a historical piece is available. There are two woods that are orders of magnitude older and, coincidentally, come from two islands situated halfway around the world from each other which are/were part of the UK at one time or another. What are the two woods? (Common names will be fine.)

<s>Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org</s>
This question is now closed.
Please see the new contest for day 10.
Good luck!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

But remember they have to be islanders. But with James and Natalie you could win twice. woods from Hollywood?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Boy, are you guys on the WRONG track.

The two woods are OLD and OLDER!!!!! (One goes by the nickname: "Ancient"!!)

Randy_

Want to hear something really weird?? I got one entry to this contest that was time stamped one minute before the starting time.

I don't think the guy was bending the rules since I didn't even post the question until well after the noon start time. Some might think the guy was just psychic; but that doesn't fly because he got the wrong answer. :D

No joke. This is for real!!

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: The great majority of the wood that we turn into pens and pencils is a few tens of years old or at most 100-200 years old if a historical piece is available. There are two woods that are orders of magnitude older and, coincidentally, come from two islands situated halfway around the world from each other and were part of the UK at one time or another. What are the two woods?

Answer: Irish Bog Wood and Kauri.

Note: There are actually three species that come out of the bogs of Ireland.....oak, pine, and yew. An answer that mentions anyone of the bog woods is also acceptable. "Ancient Kauri" is an acceptable answer as well.

Note: There were 65 entries for this contest and most all of them had the correct answers. A couple of folks got their geography messed up a little and there were a couple of entries that did not mention BOTH woods. Finally, be forewarned that I am playing in a local Hold’em tournament tomorrow so the announcement of the winners of my final contest may be later than usual!!

The winners of the day 9 contest are:

Monty

and

n7blw

And the prizes are:

Set of 3D EPR DooHickey embellishments for closed end
pens. 6 embellishments donated by YoYoSpin

Pen Blanks donated by Oklahoman

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won, placed in the title block of your email, please. (Example: Jan 8 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.(New requirement per Andrew as FedEx requires it for packages they carry.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

n7blw

Thanks a bunch, folks. Great stories behind both of those very old bog logs. Good thing I have all my lathe tools all sharpened up. Still have to master the skew, though. ;)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looks like I can't join the Losers Club now. Don't know which prize I'll get so I'll thank both YoToSpin and Oklahoman for donating to this great forum.

Top Bottom