IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST-5 JAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Welcome to the fifth day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>. You will have until 12 noon ET tomorrow to email your answer to this question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK !!!
(This is probably the one of the three most difficult
questions I will be asking. I'm saving the others for later)[}:)]

Question 4 day 5.....
Anybody know where Vanuatu is? Doesn’t really matter; but I do want to know what the wood is (common and scientific name) that comes from this French island (and other South Sea islands) that some folks use for making pens, furniture and gun stocks and is apparently misidentified in the CSUSA catalog!!

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Note: A couple of people submitted laundry “list†answers, yesterday, that included several possible alternative answers. Since there was no specific prohibition of such an entry, I let them stand. In the future, however, such an answer is “NOT†acceptable unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers to one or more parts of a question. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Anybody know where Vanuatu is?

Pretty sure I do ... If I tell you will you provide an all expenses paid two week get away for the hubby and I?????????????? [:p][:p][:p][:p][:X]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Randy_
Note: A couple of people submitted laundry “list†answers, yesterday, that included several possible alternative answers. Since there was no specific prohibition of such an entry, I let them stand. In the future, however, such an answer is “NOT†acceptable unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers to one or more parts of a question. Thanks.

Does this mean the questions will become more specific????
Ducking and hiding out under the desk where I can't be found .. hey wait .. now I have to find a new hiding place. Ok off to provide the real answer to the question that has been put forth :D[}:)]

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Just FYI (even though it doesn't help with the answer):D

20081518544_vanuatumap.jpg

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by edman2

Just FYI (even though it doesn't help with the answer):D

Stop stealing my thunder Ed. Check this out. (Yes we are both Padi Certified Divers)

2008151903_dive1forVanuatuIAP.jpg

I suddenly don't want the original prize and revert to my question .. please please send us ... ok back to reality.

The group of islands known as Vanuatu is located at latitude/longitude 16 (little 0 above) 0' S and 167 (little o above) 0' E. in the South Pacific. Between Austrailia and the Fiji islands just below the Solomon Islands (we also have a pair of Eclectus parrots) The Coral Sea is between Aussie and Vanuatu. GORGEOUS!

Thanks for bringing some sunshine to this otherwise blustery, rainy day. [:0]
Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by edman2

LOL Linda,
Sorry, didn't mean to ruin your post (but I do think the fish is cute).:D:D

No No ... I was playing too :D

It's all about the fun !!!!!! Well unless you feel bad enough to buy me a ticket for two????????? [:p]

Ok Ok .. how about we do the next Bubbasville in the capital city of Vanuatu and while we are there I can take a lil side trip and dive the USS Coolridge? Perhaps even dive the underwater wall of a living volcano too - now just how cool is that????? [8D]

I'll leave some time for all of my new found IAP family of course - you just have to make sure you can keep up with me on a sail boat, jet ski (no you can't drive the one I am on) or underwater. It's all simple enough [}:)]

Ok I have spent a lot of time today dreaming thanks to this lil question. (A welcome diversion to thinking about an ailing family member.) BUT - I am missing my beloved football :( My checkbook needs balanced and there is laundry wanting washed ..
NOT to mention I haven't made a pen in I don't know how long. Think I'll go turn some Red River Gum that Santa sent us .... Don't worry I'll still be keeping an eye on ya'll.

Mrs.[}:)]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Scott

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
2008151903_dive1forVanuatuIAP.jpg

NEMO! I found him! :D

I loved this response and You made me laugh Scott. :D:D[:X]

Unfortunately though, just FYI - NEMO was a Percula Clown Fish and this one looks to be a Clarks Clownfish which is common to Vanuatu. Goodness I miss diving and my saltwater tanks. *sigh*

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: Anybody know where Vanuatu is? Doesn’t really matter; but do you know what the wood is that comes from this French island (and other South sea islands) that some folks use for making pens, furniture and gun stocks and is apparently misidentified in the CSUSA catalog!!

Answer: Paldao, Dracontomelon</u> dao (sometimes called New Guinea Walnut) and identified by CSUSA as Island Walnut Paldor, Dracontomlum</u> spp.

Note: I have posted above the answer that I was looking for; but naming woods is a notoriously imprecise effort (especially where common names are concerned so there were several other acceptable answers besides the above. In spite of that leeway, this turned out to be the toughest question so far. We had 48 entries and only 11 acceptable answers. If you are interested in a little more information on this particular wood, you can visit here.

The winners of the day 5 contest are:

MLKWoodWorking

and

Bobskio2003

And the prizes are:

90 Corian squares 2X2X3/8" donated by Ron Schmitt

Pen Blanks donated by jthompson1995

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won, (Example: Jan 5 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of this forum. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

Jarheaded

Congratulations on knowing that one.

I had a feeling that I had absolutely no idea as to what the wood was, but I took a guess and got so close. It kind of looks like coconuts or something else. :)

Randy, the link says nothing about pen making being one of its uses, are you sure you have the right wood? [?][?][?]

Randy_

Johnnie: That link is just one of about a dozen web sites I looked at in researching this question. "NONE" of those web sites had exactly the same information so I had to make a informed judgment based on the predominance of the information that I found. You will note also that the genus name listed in the linked web site is not spelled exactly the same as the answer I posted. The genus name shown on the linked web site is an older name and has been revised by more current taxonomists.

Kirk Franks was the only member to find an obscure reference to a wood with the common name of "Island Walnut." I looked at that possibility pretty closely; but decided Paldao was a better fit to the totality of information available to me.

The short answer to your question is that I am not 100% sure the answer is correct. It is always possible that "ALL" of the descriptive information in the catalog is totally wrong and the pictured wood is a completely different species. Only way to be absolutely certain would be to get a piece of the wood from CSUSA and send it off to some wood expert and have them do an analysis which wood be a little outside the scope of this contest.

*******THE TRIVIAMEISTER RULES**********

IPD_Mrs

WOW this is great. We just got home from Grandma's birthday dinner and found that we have won yesterday's question. Thanks guys!! This is an awesome end to an awesome evening. Since I didn't see those round trip tickets listed I'll have to send off an email for one of the other options. ;)

Grandma almost left us a few months ago and tonight we celebrated her being 96 years young - when she blew out the candle on her cake she said her wish is that we will all be here next year again! I told her I want to hold out for her 100th - she's sure spunky enough :)

I'm sure we missed a lot of fun here tonight - but I know you all understand and we'll see more of you later this week.
[:X]

Jarheaded

Randy,
I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not questioning your answer, I just want to know if it is really possible to turn a pen out of it since they didn't say you could. [:0]

Mike,
That is great, may she live for another 96 years. Give her a birthday gift from me, what the heck, I'm feeling generous. :D Congatulations on winning.

Smile, it's easier,
Johnnie

Randy_

Originally posted by Jarheaded

Randy,
I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not questioning your answer, I just want to know if it is really possible to turn a pen out of it since they didn't say you could.

Johnnie: I'm not personally familiar with that species of wood so I can't really answer your question for sure. Since CSUSA is selling it as a pen blank, I assume it can be used for pens.

Maybe someone else here at IAP has purchased that wood and can tell us a little more about it??

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Jarheaded

Mike,
That is great, may she live for another 96 years. Give her a birthday gift from me, what the heck, I'm feeling generous. :D Congatulations on winning.

Smile, it's easier,
Johnnie

If she lives another 96 years I fear she will out live both Mike and I. But she sure seemed to enjoy the country club tonight and loved having her family around her again. She is a WONDERFUL lady and we are all happy we had yet another birthday to celebrate with her.

Mrs.[:X]

Randy_

Originally posted by wudnhed

Wow my answer was way off :(

Congratulations to the winners!

Becca: After doing the TC for the past few days, I have a much greater appreciation for your effort with the contest that you ran. These "wood" questions can be a real b***h!!!

bobskio2003

Wow I can't actually believe I won. Miracles do sometimes happen. But sometimes luck does too. I happen to collect different wood species (around 600 right now) and I had acquired some of CSUSA Island Walnut Paldor and when I went to do some research on it (to include in my info on my species) I couldn't find anything that really matched it, until I dug a little deeper. I'm not sure if Dracontomelum dao is totally correct as there are a number of species that also call themselves Paldao but the genus name Dracontomelum (not melon- Randy must have been hungry when he type in the answer;)) is correct.
Anyways, the wood does look and feel fairly similar to a lighter colored Black Walnut or a hair darker than English Walnut. I haven't turned a pen from it yet but I don't see any real reason why it couldn't.[^]

Randy_

Dracontomelum dao Merr. & Rolfe
(syns Dracontomelon mangiferum Blume, Paliurus dao Blanco)
Argus Pheasant Tree, Dao, Paldao, Sekuan, Senkuang
Originally published as Dracontomelum dao, the accepted name for this Indo-Malaysian species is now Dracontomelon dao.

The timber is used commercially for veneers and in the manufacture of fine furniture. No reports of ill effects in those who are exposed to the timber or its sawdust have been found.

Perry & Metzger (1980) note that in China, the fruit of this species is given as a depurative to cure dermatitis.
From one of the many web sites I looked at when researching this question. Don't remember exactly which one??

And this is what HobbitHouse has to say.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/paldao/paldao fact sheet.htm

Pictures:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/paldao.htm

Top Bottom