IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST-3 JAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Welcome to the third day of this year's TRIVIA CONTEST. You will have until 12 noon EST tomorrow to email your answer to this question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. EST. on the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK !!!

Question for day three.....
Most of us have some sort of silicone based lubricant in our shop and it is a wonderful material. Unfortunately, it can be a major annoyance when it gets somewhere it is not supposed to be. If you have some silicone on your hands or the bed of your saw and transfer it to a pen blank, you can forget about a finish sticking to the blank. Soap and water don’t do very much for clean up nor do most of the commonly used solvents. What is the best material to use to remove silicone lubricants?

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Randy,
I don't want to be a PITA but you forgot the link to the e-mail address in your post.

Just thought you might like to know.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by DocStram

Only the third day of the Trivia Contest and already we have panic, chaos and disorder! ;);)

What do ya expect with this group Doc??????

*ducking for cover*

PS... as for all the NUTS comments and those who have indicated that there are a "few" of you here that "show it." I work in a mental health institution all day long ... I am more than qualified to determine if the diagnosis as given fits the behaviors etc and I all I have to say ... HERE HERE. [}:)]

Mrs. MLK

Randy_

Originally posted by jhs494

Randy,
I don't want to be a PITA but you forgot the link to the e-mail address in your post.

Just thought you might like to know.

I left it out on purpose to make this contest a little tougher. [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Now, if you believe that, I've got some nice "lake-front" lots for sale in Florida!!:D:D

Randy_

We received 42 entries to this question and had lots of good answers. The answer that we were looking for was one that has been posted several times here at IAP; but it looks like there are other alternatives that have not been posted here previously, so this question turned out to be educational as promised.....for me!!!

After my part of the Trivia Contest is over (or maybe sooner if I find time), I will compile all of the suggestions and start a new thread. I'm sure this information will be of interest to the full membership. Thanks to all for adding to the knowledge of myself and the membership and thanks for participating in the Trivia Contest. I hope everyone is enjoying the competition!!.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
AS long as this is complete, I would think you are best to sand it off if you have enough material. If not, I will look forward to the suggestions of others.

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: Most of us have some sort of silicone based lubricant in our shop and it is a wonderful material. Unfortunately, it can be a major annoyance when it gets somewhere it is not supposed to be. If you have some silicone on your hands or the bed of your saw and transfer it to a pen blank, you can forget about a finish sticking to the blank. Soap and water don’t do very much for clean up nor do most of the commonly used solvents. What is the best material to use to remove silicone lubricants?

Answer: Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent that will remove silicone lubricants. You can buy the stuff for a buck or two on any grocery store or pharmacy labeled as rubbing alcohol. Most commonly it will be 70% by volume mixed with water. There are 91% and 99% strengths but they are not commonly available.

The winners of the day 3 contest are:

DozerMite

and

DCBluesman

And the prizes are:

3/8" Henry Taylor Spindle Gouge donated by Craft Supplies
Delrin strips 1-1"X4"X.01", 1-4"X4"X.01" donated by Joe Collazo @ turncrafts.com

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Note: Both winners need to go to my profile and email me with their mailing address and prize preference. If you both select the same prize, I will flip a coin.

Note: The answer that we were looking for was one that has been posted several times here at IAP; but it looks like there are other alternatives that have not been posted here previously, so this question turned out to be educational as promised.....for me!!!

After my part of the Trivia Contest is over (or maybe sooner if I find time), I will compile all of the suggestions and start a new thread. I'm sure this information will be of interest to the full membership. Thanks to all for adding to the knowledge of myself and the membership and thanks for participating in the Trivia Contest. I hope everyone is enjoying the competition!!

Top Bottom