IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST-1 JAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Happy Birthday to IAP and a
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all IAP members!!!

And welcome to this year's TRIVIA CONTEST. For the next 31 days Bruce, Al or myself will post a trivia question in this forum at noon or a little thereafter. Some of the questions will be easy and some will be difficult. Some will be silly and some will make you think. Some will be educational and some probably will not?? You will have until 12 noon EST of the following day to email your answer to:

2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Please be sure it include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.</u>

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and one winner selected every day. (actually, I'm going to use an electronic random number generator to select the winner.) The winner will be announced about
8 P.M. EST. on the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIA MASTER is final. There will be a nice gift presented to each winner.

OK, I think that pretty well covers it.......

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK !!!

Here is an appropriate question for opening the Trivia Contest:

What is the official birthday of IAP and who was the first “official†member?
(Hint: He never made an IAP post.)

Take note, everyone. Your chances of winning the trivia contest just doubled !!! I have been informed that there will be enough prizes available to select "TWO" winners every day!!</u>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Whoaaaa TWO winners a day! Let me think a minute .... that means that if I was eligible to play, I would have twice the normal chance of being a loser! On the other hand, it would be pretty embarrassing to get the answers wrong to my own trivia questions. [:p][:p]

Randy_

Only 30 answers received so far and not all of them are correct. This is an excellent chance for someone to sneak in and "steal" a prize!!

I know many of you are probably still "recovering"; but don't let this opportunity get past you.:D:D

Randy_

OK. If I have this time zone thing figured out correctly, it should now be a minute or two past Noon forum time (EST) so this question is officially closed.

My preliminary count is 35 entries. I need to double check that. Some folks sent 2 emails because they only answered part of the question in their first email and in one case we had two entries in one email....husband and wife. If I wanted to be a hard case, I could reject those partial answers; but this is just for fun so nobody gets penalized for sending the answer in two parts. This just for fun.....right!!!:D:D:D

Now give me a few more minutes and I will put up the question for today.

BTW, it just occurred to me that I don't remember any discussion about limits on prize winners?? Could be no restrictions, could be one per week, could be one per duration of contest or who knows what??? I will have to check with my boss and get a ruling.

Winner will be announced about 8 P.M. tonight

Good luck!!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Randy,
What about no limits to the number of times you can win but if you win more than once you give the prize to another IAP member of your choice?

Keeps more people playing if there is a chance to win or give something away. If it is once and out then it's not fun to play for the rest of the Bash. Just a thought.

DocStram

Originally posted by edman2

Randy,
What about no limits to the number of times you can win but if you win more than once you give the prize to another IAP member of your choice?

Keeps more people playing if there is a chance to win or give something away. If it is once and out then it's not fun to play for the rest of the Bash. Just a thought.

Yeah! Like, if you win more than once you have to give your prize to one of the TriviaMeisters! Let's see ... who are they again? Ummmm ... Randy ... Bruce ... and, who's the third one??? [}:)][}:)][}:)];)

Randy_

And now for the information everyone is holding their breath over....our first two winners of the 2008 Birthday Bash Trivia Contest. Although this first question was a two parter, it was one of the easier questions. We wanted to ease everyone into the effort of using their brains again after New Years Eve!!:)

I have to admit that I wasn't sure about the answer to the birthdate part of the question...and I guess the first member for that matter as well....so I asked for guidance from the founders and was informed that IAP considers its official birthday to be 01 Jan 2004.

And now just a word or two about the first official member whose name is Art Oswald from Newton, New Jersey. Since I grew up (more or less) in NJ, I was more than a little interested in this guy so I visited my handy Internet phonebook search and found a phone number for the guy. I put in a call on the evening of 01 Jan 2008 and was pleasantly surprised to find that Art, himself, answered the phone. At first he was a little reserved.....guess he thought I was selling something; but when I explained what was going on he was happy to chat and answer a few questions. He knew about Rich's forum and remembered joining IAP and was totally surprised to find out he was the first official member.

I never quite got an explanation of his not posting; but turns out that Art used to teach woodworking in high school and is an active woodworker. He has an old Craftsman 48" lathe and uses that to craft bowls and pens. He said he is a hobby pen turner and used to make about half a dozen pens a month; but not so many now. All of his pens go to family and friends as gifts and as might be expected with his living in NJ, his source of kits is PSI.

I invited him to check back in here and say hello. I hope we hear from him. It would be fun!!

Well, guess I can't drag this out any longer so here are the names of the two winners of yesterday's contest. But before I get to that, let me say that there were 35 valid entries to the first day's contest and two entries that were disqualified because they were submitted past the noon deadline. I didn't make an exact count; but about 80% of the entries had the correct answers. I expect some of the future questions will be much more difficult.

Oh yeah, I got a really neat Christmas present. Let me tell you a little about......no, just kidding.

The winners of the 01 Jan Trivia Contest are:

jthompson1995!!!!!!!!

and

cowchaser!!!!!!!!

!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

winpooh498

Thanks Randy it was cool to get some more info.
Ya know if you don't have anything else going on in your life, there are a lot of other people that haven't ever posted or not for years you could call them and get "the rest of the story". You could be our very own Paul Harvey. ;):D
Thanks again, for going above and beyond.

On edit:
Congrats to the winners!!

Randy_

Originally posted by MarkHix

Congratulations! Any idea what you won?

Sorry. I do not know what the prizes are. There is a member of the contest staff who is putting together a list of prizes. I don't know if if has been completed yet; but I think the intent is to publish the list when it is completed.

Scott

Hi Guys!

Prizes? You want PRIZES? [8D]

OK, here are the prizes for the first day:

January 1st
Prize One - $20.00 gift certificate. Earnie beartooth woods
Prize Two - delrin strips 1-1"X4"X.01", 1-4"X4"X.01". Jcollazo

cowchaser

Wow, thanks. I really didn't expect to win anything, much less the first drawing. Appreciate all the help that I receive here and the site as well. With out you guys, I would still have some money and not be parked in front of the TV all the time.

Randy_

I found the prize information; but I see that Scott has beat me to it by a few minutes. Both winners need to go to my profile and email me with their mailing address and prize preference. If you both select the same prize, I will flip a coin.

Scott: Maybe you can offer some information on the time frame of the mailing of prizes??

wudnhed

Congratulations guys!

Randy, that was some great info on Art. I hope he comes back to the site and has some fun. I actually almost put his name down in my answer, oh well next time!

Scott

Hi Randy!

I think the prizes could go out pretty quick. The Beartooth Woods certificate may be something we can E-Mail, or it may just be a matter of notifying Ernie who the winner is. The other prize needs to be sent out, but I'm thinking it could go out pretty quickly.

The essential thing is that we need the name and addresses of the winners. We don't keep that information, not the addresses anyway, on the IAP site anywhere. So if you win, get back to us with your name and address as Randy has suggested, and we'll get the prize to you!

And don't forget who is bringing you all this fun! Check out the Donation Drawing today!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31661

Thanks everybody!

Scott.

Top Bottom