Best New Article Contest - Nominations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Best New Article Contest â€" Nominations!

The object of this contest is to decide, through a process of nominations and voting, which is the best article of 2007. Hopefully, this will bring some attention to the new and interesting articles that have been added to our library in the past year, and encourage some of you to get started on your articles for next year!

The rules are quite simple. Have a scan through the library, and find your favourite article that’s dated 2007. Randy’s new and improved library index can be found at:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31215

Nominate your favourite article by posting on this thread with the name of the article and the name of the author. Nominations will be accepted starting now, until January 9th at 6PM, forum time. At that point, I will create a new post with the names of the articles that were nominated, and we will vote on the best article of 2007!

Rules:
1) This article must be from 2007
2) The article must reside in the IAP library
3) You can only nominate one article (and it can’t be your own!)

Please read the articles carefully, and choose your favourite. The criteria for ‘best’ are up to you â€" most innovative, best written, most informative â€" so read carefully, and choose wisely!

Nominations will be accepted until 6PM January 9th, after which voting will occur!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Andrew ( Maxwell ) there are only four articles in the 2007 slot.
while each may have it's merits, I believe that there are much better and useful ones from previous years. ;)
Edit in; This depends which link you use to get there. If you use the one above then there are 12 articles

What about doing it for articles posted from now? This should boost the numbers a bit. I actually thought that I had seen recent articles on photography and cast resins and 'useless wood' etc. But maybe they were just in normal forums?

Randy_

Originally posted by skiprat

.....Edit in; This depends which link you use to get there. If you use the one above then there are 12 articles

Actually, there are 13 articles that were added to the IAP Library in 2007. Nine are on display on the IAP home page and four more are "back in the stacks." There are 14 entries in my index because one of the articles has a double entry to make it easier to find.

There were also a number of very interesting videos added this year which everyone should take the time to look at; but, as I understand it, are not eligible for this contest.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I vote for Curtis' 'worthless wood' article.

Lou's article on Nib replacement just has a single pic of a FP nib in it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would like to nominate Gary Greenberg for his Celtic Knot article. I know there has been a lot of people creating knots this year, and I just created my first one. For a beginner like me, it was really good having that article show some of the basics.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, I'm here to make trouble again.

Do you follow Robert's Rules? Will each nomination need a "move and second" or will a nomination by a member suffice?

DocStram

Originally posted by ed4copies

OK, I'm here to make trouble again.

Do you follow Robert's Rules? Will each nomination need a "move and second" or will a nomination by a member suffice?

Would you like to put this in the form of a motion? Or, a friendly amendment? [}:)]:D

karlkuehn

Banned
Curtiss' Worthless Wood has my vote. That one article changed a lot of our lives, and has really helped our little art to progress. I'm very grateful that he shared and allowed all of us to glom onto his wagon!

The downside is that I don't seem to be able to throw anything away anymore...I mean, I've always been a bit of a pack rat, but now I think I have the biggest collection of spalted, wormy burl toothpicks on the planet! Curt's an enabler of the worst kind, because now I can justify all my scraps to the wife when she asks. Gah! :D

Scott

If I may be of a little help. Just nominate the article you like. No "seconds" needed. Only nominate one article, and you cannot nominate your own article. If somebody has already nominated the article you like, there is no need to nominate it again. Yes there will be a first, second, and third place prize. And if I got any of these wrong, Andrew will be along to set me straight! [8D]

Scott.

Firefyter-emt

Oh this is hard... I mean, me of all people, could I fail to vote for the dead center (BCB) article by Hank Lee?? Then we have my good friend Steve and is pressure pot... But heck, as a fountain pen snob, How can I reject Anthony's re-filling article or even Lou's nib replacement?? Why yes sir, this is hard indeed!

I have looked, read, and thought hard and I just have to choose none of the above... I really think that the information and the length of information in Rick Herrell's "Cartridge Pen" article is the winner.

great12b4ever

I would like to nominate Writing a Tutorial, by Scott. If we didn't have this kind of information, then we may not have the large number of excellent tutorials for us to use.

Rob

ericw95

Can I make a suggestion? When we begin voting on the nominated articles, can we do it in a bracket format? I know it is more work for you but it would let the contest last a little longer. I think it would help us to arrive a better #1 candidate.

Scott

There are only a few hours left to nominate your favorite article from 2007! Check out those articles, and then get back here to put in your nomination! Time's a wasting!!! :D

Scott.

Top Bottom