24 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Welcome to the 24th day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>.
All entries "postmarked" before noon tomorrow will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.
The winners will be announced by 10 P.M. ET tomorrow and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.
Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 24.....

A recent Woodturning Design article was entitled "Pens Made with a Bite". What material was used for the blanks??

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

Good luck!!

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 24 Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.)

Don't waste your time, Dustin. The magazine's web site doesn't give you access to the articles, and the IAP search function likely will lead you astray. Just pack it in and wait until tomorrow's question. Doc promises it'll be much easier.

As for those of you who woke up deciding today would be the one day of the week you would do a good deed for your fellow pen turner, please take a moment to consider that, by helping Dustin out, you might be adding one more correct answer to the pool. That dilutes my chances of winning. So, while you may pick up a friend, you may lose one at the same time.

(Hint to Dustin: When in doubt, the answer is - eight.)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2
(Hint to Dustin: When in doubt, the answer is - eight.)
Hey, that's not nice - [:p] Sending Dustin off like that with the wrong answer... The answer is 42! (It must be 42, thats the answer to everything).

Originally posted by DocStram

Looks like a couple of people are going to be playing "Blank the Trivia Meister". More details tomorrow when this contest closes. :D:D:D

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32048

Awwww c'mon, Doc. Surely you weren't referring to me? Although I acknowledge freely that you were among the targets of my post, it was in your capacity as a mere member of IAP, not in your lofty position as Triviameister. Besides, even if my gentle comment were lobbed softly at you in your role as the latter, I violated none of the "Blank the Trivia Meister" guidelines. I reread those thoroughly before posting to make certain of that.

Should the Triviameisters' consensus be otherwise, whose decision I understand to be final and one I would respect regardless, I will have to prevail upon brother Kuehn for a sample of his rare stinkwood blanks to send southward as recompense for my supposed transgression. With the cost of the blanks and postage, ignoring altogether the great inconvenience to one burdened so obviously by the labors of the workaday world, this could add up to quite a penalty. I beseech you, therefore, to apply the guidelines carefully to the facts of this case and see if I didn't, perhaps, commit no sin whatsoever.

Respectfully,

DocStram

Looks like a couple of people are going to be playing "Blank the Trivia Meister". More details tomorrow when this contest closes. :D:D:D

Awwww c'mon, Doc. Surely you weren't referring to me? Although I acknowledge freely that you were among the targets of my post, it was in your capacity as a mere member of IAP, not in your lofty position as Triviameister. Besides, even if my gentle comment were lobbed softly at you in your role as the latter, I violated none of the "Blank the Trivia Meister" guidelines. I reread those thoroughly before posting to make certain of that.

Should the Triviameisters' consensus be otherwise, whose decision I understand to be final and one I would respect regardless, I will have to prevail upon brother Kuehn for a sample of his rare stinkwood blanks to send southward as recompense for my supposed transgression. With the cost of the blanks and postage, ignoring altogether the great inconvenience to one burdened so obviously by the labors of the workaday world, this could add up to quite a penalty. I beseech you, therefore, to apply the guidelines carefully to the facts of this case and see if I didn't, perhaps, commit no sin whatsoever.

Respectfully,

Mike .... "you've paid up front". :)

<center>VIOLATION!!! VIOLATION!!! VIOLATION!!!</center>

Originally posted by mwenman

How does an article publish itself or another article???? hmmmm

We got a live one, eh Doc? Another free blank headed your way!!! Ol' Mike doesn't like the way you worded the trivia question. Boy, that's a clear violation of the "Blank the Trivia Meister" guidelines. Glad I could help out with this one. I ought to get some sort of relief from my alleged violation, shouldn't I? What with the way I spotted this, real quick like, and brought it to your attention? I mean, we gotta nip these things in the bud. Glad I could help. You can count on me. Bad Mike. Bad Mike.

DocStram

I think I need an attorney ... one with experience in penmaking. Anybody happen to know one? ;) I'll give him 30% of what we rake in from the "Blank the Trivia Meister" Law. :D

DocStram

We got a live one, eh Doc? Another free blank headed your way!!! Ol' Mike doesn't like the way you worded the trivia question. Boy, that's a clear violation of the "Blank the Trivia Meister" guidelines. Glad I could help out with this one. I ought to get some sort of relief from my alleged violation, shouldn't I? What with the way I spotted this, real quick like, and brought it to your attention? I mean, we gotta nip these things in the bud. Glad I could help. You can count on me. Bad Mike. Bad Mike.
He's correct, Mr. mwenman. My people will be contacting your people. :D:D

IPD_Mrs

By the way, does that period go after the "r" and before the quotation mark ..... or after the quotation mark? [?][?]

Doc,

The period in question goes inside (before) the quotation mark.
[:X] Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by DozerMite

I agree with maxwell. A period ends the sentence.

Ok, you have made me double check my memory of college grammar. Based on the Prentice Hall Handbook for Writers Eleventh Edition the period goes inside the quotation mark. If you happen to own this book you can look this up in the section on Ending Punctuation beginning on page 152 - multiple examples are given.

Sorry guys, I was correct in my original statement.

mwenman

He's correct, Mr. mwenman. My people will be contacting your people. :D:D

Wow...I have people now!! Awesome :D now if I could just find them.

Originally posted by cowchaser

I thought you could only choose A,B,C or D. Now we all know the answer is always C.

Dustin, I think I see what the problem is here. The answer IS always C, but ONLY when dealing with multiple choice questions. The trick to answering these questions successfully is to identify first what type of question you're dealing with. Now, pay attention! There are five different kinds of questions:

• MULTIPLE CHOICE - Example: The best IAP Triviameister ever is (a) Randy, (b) Bruce, (c) Doc or (d) all of the above. ANSWER: As you pointed out, the answer is always "C." See, the rule works!
  • TRUE/FALSE - Example: True or false, Karl Kuehn puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else. ANSWER: This is a trick question. Karl doesn't wear pants.
  • DISCUSSION - Example: Opinions vary as to the most attractive wood for use with the Flat Top American pen kit. What is your opinion and why? ANSWER: (The important thing here is to sound like you know what you're talking about. Make extra points by cozying up to experts in the field who wouldn't know you from a Britney Spears groupie.) I agree with my good friend and colleague Curtis Seebeck who prefers the sapwood of the Mississippi loblolly pine with a CA/BLO finish in this instance because it complements the 18k Swiss Rose Gold better than any other wood.
  • SEMI-RHETORICAL - Example: (Wife asks) Do I look fat in these pants? ANSWER: (Dustin, do I really have to tell you what the answer ALWAYS is to this one?)
  • SHORT ANSWER - Example: A recent Woodturning Design article was entitled "Pens Made with a Bite". What material was used for the blanks? ANSWER: Always "eight." It was suggested by alphageek that 42 is always the answer to a SHORT ANSWER type of question. This is true, but only if you are answering in 1996 Mexican pesos and forget to convert to American dollars as apparently was alphageek's error. Why complicate things? Forget about 1996 pesos and conversions and all that. Stick with eight.
Master the art of identifying the type of question posed, Dustin, and you're well on your way to answering correctly any trivia question sent your way. Good luck!!!

I think I need an attorney ... one with experience in penmaking. Anybody happen to know one? ;) I'll give him 30% of what we rake in from the "Blank the Trivia Meister" Law. :D

That's an interesting proposal, Doc. The problem as I see it, though, is that 30% of a 5" blank is only 1 1/2". I'm hard pressed to come up with a pen I could make from 1 1/2" blanks. You, on the other hand, have all kinds of options with your resulting 3 1/2" blanks.

I guess this is what they mean by "getting the short end of the stick."

(Speaking of sticks, did I "stick" that last period in the right place?)

jhs494

Originally posted by cowchaser

I thought you could only choose A,B,C or D. Now we all know the answer is always C.

Dustin, I think I see what the problem is here. The answer IS always C, but ONLY when dealing with multiple choice questions. The trick to answering these questions successfully is to identify first what type of question you're dealing with. Now, pay attention! There are five different kinds of questions:

• MULTIPLE CHOICE - Example: The best IAP Triviameister ever is (a) Randy, (b) Bruce, (c) Doc or (d) all of the above. ANSWER: As you pointed out, the answer is always "C." See, the rule works!
  • TRUE/FALSE - Example: True or false, Karl Kuehn puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else. ANSWER: This is a trick question. Karl doesn't wear pants.
  • DISCUSSION - Example: Opinions vary as to the most attractive wood for use with the Flat Top American pen kit. What is your opinion and why? ANSWER: (The important thing here is to sound like you know what you're talking about. Make extra points by cozying up to experts in the field who wouldn't know you from a Britney Spears groupie.) I agree with my good friend and colleague Curtis Seebeck who prefers the sapwood of the Mississippi loblolly pine with a CA/BLO finish in this instance because it complements the 18k Swiss Rose Gold better than any other wood.
  • SEMI-RHETORICAL - Example: (Wife asks) Do I look fat in these pants? ANSWER: (Dustin, do I really have to tell you what the answer ALWAYS is to this one?)
  • SHORT ANSWER - Example: A recent Woodturning Design article was entitled "Pens Made with a Bite". What material was used for the blanks? ANSWER: Always "eight." It was suggested by alphageek that 42 is always the answer to a SHORT ANSWER type of question. This is true, but only if you are answering in 1996 Mexican pesos and forget to convert to American dollars as apparently was alphageek's error. Why complicate things? Forget about 1996 pesos and conversions and all that. Stick with eight.
Master the art of identifying the type of question posed, Dustin, and you're well on your way to answering correctly any trivia question sent your way. Good luck!!!

Very well stated Proud Papa you actually made me answer eight.
I'm not sure if it's right but somewhere in there I got lost and went straight to the end so eight it is...

Jarheaded

Mike,
The quotation is part of the sentence so it goes before the period. I don't know what english book you were checking with, but you might want to get the American version.:D
Poppa, Be careful about messing with the triviamonsters, they may bite.:D
Johnnie

DocStram

This thing about where a period goes in relation to the quotation mark is an issue I'm having to deal with. As some of you are aware, I'm finishing up a book that I'm co-authoring with two colleagues. One of the things that we are having a friendly disagreement about is this .....

If I have a sentence that is a quotation, I know that the period goes before the end quotation mark.

However, what if the quotation mark is around one word .... like a word that has some special significance that we want to wrap in quotation marks AND that word is the very last one in the sentence?
ex. Proud_Poppa_of_2 claims everyone in Mechanicsville is a "mechanic".

Now, where does the period go? I say it goes after the end quotation mark. One of my co-authors says the period always goes INSIDE the end quotation mark. When I asked him about his source .. he says, "An author told me." (We're friends of course; this is a friendly argument that we are having.)

I reckon it will all be decided once our publisher goes through the manuscript.

But, what do y'all think?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've been giving this a bit of thought, Doc, and I think that you're right. If you were to put a clause in parentheses, the period would go outside the last parenthesis. Quotation marks should, logically, follow the same rule. Don't you agree (with this statement)?

The way I taught it was that the strongest punctuation mark wins. Periods have one role - to end sentences. Therefore, the period is the strongest punctuation mark, so it gets to fulfill its role.

That being said, I speak Canadian English, which has a lot more in common with British formal English than it does with American conventions; so this could be one of those questions in which both answers are correct. That would explain why both my style guide, and Mrs. MLK's style guide, give different rules.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

I've been giving this a bit of thought, Doc, and I think that you're right. If you were to put a clause in parentheses, the period would go outside the last parenthesis. Quotation marks should, logically, follow the same rule. Don't you agree (with this statement)?

The way I taught it was that the strongest punctuation mark wins. Periods have one role - to end sentences. Therefore, the period is the strongest punctuation mark, so it gets to fulfill its role.

That being said, I speak Canadian English, which has a lot more in common with British formal English than it does with American conventions; so this could be one of those questions in which both answers are correct. That would explain why both my style guide, and Mrs. MLK's style guide, give different rules.

Doc, & Maxwell

Maxwell does have something correct here in that American writing (that practiced in the United States where you are writing this book of yours ;)) and British Formal English do have different rules. I didn't think about (sorry guys) using any rules other than those that we write with on a daily basis when I answered your question. If Maxwell were writing the book, he should put the period outside of the quotation as he does not live in the United States and is held to a different standard of writing. YOU on the other hand, in my belief, should put the period on the inside of the quotation as you are writing based on American writing standards. I won't tell you what I got in English.[:0]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Doc, & Maxwell

Maxwell does have something correct here in that American writing (that practiced in the United States where you are writing this book of yours ;)) and British Formal English do have different rules. I didn't think about (sorry guys) using any rules other than those that we write with on a daily basis when I answered your question. If Maxwell were writing the book, he should put the period outside of the quotation as he does not live in the United States and is held to a different standard of writing. YOU on the other hand, in my belief, should put the period on the inside of the quotation as you are writing based on American writing standards. I won't tell you what I got in English.[:0]

I disagree. I firmly believe that the exclamation point is stronger than the period, that's why it is reserved for when you really want to get the point across. Let's get with the program!

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Mudder

Doc, & Maxwell

I disagree. I firmly believe that the exclamation point is stronger than the period, that's why it is reserved for when you really want to get the point across. Let's get with the program!

What exclamation point and what program? Mudder have you gotten into that wacky backy again? Go on over on the sofa and snack on that big bowl of wood shavings, you'll feel like your old self in no time.[}:)]

M

Mudder

Nevermind. If you can't grasp it on the first go round .............. [:0]

DocStram

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: A recent Woodturning Design article was entitled "Pens Made with a Bite". What material was used for the blanks?? ?

Answer: The correct answer is: Poison Ivy

BTW ... you didn't need the magazine to find the correct answer, a visit to WD's website had it all there waiting for you:

http://www.woodturningdesign.com/onlineproject/poisonivypen/poisonivypen.shtml

Note: There were 71 responses for this question with 61 being correct.

The winners of the day 24 contest are:

Edman2

and

Arioux

Correction! Due to an error on my part, Arioux's name should have been posted as winner #2. Thanks to Kirkfranks for bringing this to my attention. He's one honest guy!

And the prizes are:

Prize One - $20.00 gift certificate Earnie beartooth woods

Prize Two - Pen Blanks from Rifleman

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won. (Example: Jan 24 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.)
4. Phone number.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

IPD_Mrs

Obviously. We were discussing parenthesis with periods and you throw in exclamation points. Let me help you with the major differences. On is curved one is straight. [:0] One was discussed one was NOT![:0]

Mike

rcarman

Arrrrrrgggggggghhh! 24 days of futile research. 48 chances to win. All in all the odds are pretty good. However,YES we lost again!!!! Average number of daily entries and the number of conseqecutive loses remind me why I don't buy lottery tickets where the odds are REALLY bad.

M

Mudder

Obviously. We were discussing parenthesis with periods and you throw in exclamation points. Let me help you with the major differences. On is curved one is straight. [:0] One was discussed one was NOT![:0]

Mike

I rest my case
:D

Top Bottom