23 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Welcome to the 23nd day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>.
All entries "postmarked" before noon tomorrow will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.
The winners will be announced by 10 P.M. ET tomorrow and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.
Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 23.....

What part of a (an) tree is considered waterproof?

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

(Note: Good luck!!)

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 23 Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.)

bobskio2003

I first want to say that I've had a great deal of fun with the trivia questions, so far. I think the Randy, Bruce, and even Doc have done a great job so far. But there is something trivial (pun intended) that has been bothering me, and that is we'll never know who the true IAP Trivia Master is for 2008. With the random number generator it makes it so that we don't know how many people got the answers correct or how many correct answers a person has given over the month. I know this would be a whole nother headache but it would have been fun to know who is the true master. I guess all that grammar talk caused the educational part of my brain to kick in :D. Bob I.

DocStram

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

We want to be fair about this, Doc. We don't want to roast the wrong the guy. Who do we blame for this question - you, Randy or Bruce?
That's an easy one to answer. The questions that you don't like ... were written, of course, by Bruce and Randy. The questions you do like ... are mine. It's the American Way! Take no responsibility for your faults! ;)

Randy_

Originally posted by bobskio2003

.....With the random number generator it makes it so that we don't know how many people got the answers correct or how many correct answers a person has given over the month. I know this would be a whole nother headache but it would have been fun to know who is the true master. I guess all that grammar talk caused the educational part of my brain to kick in :D. Bob I.

Bob: I agree that it would be fun to have those numbers. OTOH, I do have a life outside of IAP..... though it may not seem so.....and I just don't have the time to wade through every Trivia entry and compile those figures.

I have archived all of the entries I received and there are over 500 emails. That would translate to 1500 emails ± for the entire contest. I don't know if Bruce and Al are saving their entries; but if they are, it might be possible to send them all to you and you could compile those figures. That would be quite a chore; but you or someone else might be willing to take it on??

Personally, it's too much work for too little benefit.

fiferb

Bob, this would be a huge undertaking. Just tabulating who answered the most questions, whether right or wrong would be a major effort. Imagine if bobskio2003 (using you as an example) answered daily. That's great! But, how do I know that? I'd have to make some sort of spreadsheet, list every name on day one. New names appear on days 2-31. So now I have a huge list of names with the number of times they submitted an answer whether right or wrong. Now we have to look at whether that answer was correct or not for each of those days. Too much work in my opinion.

Also, and this is nothing personal, but I don't think everyone would want their personal email addresses sent to you or anyone else for compilation. I get enough spam already.

bobskio2003

I totally agree that my wish is just too difficult to do, at the current time. I was just thinking out loud (which usually gets me in trouble) that it would be interesting to know who the true trivia master is? Again I think you've done a great job and I've had lots of fun with each days question. (Okay maybe the number of pen blanks in a board foot made my head hurt). I guess for now you three are the true three wisemen. Bob I.

IPD_Mrs

I guess for now you three are the true three wisemen. Bob I.

Oh Good Heavens .. now look what you have done. DID you HAVE to go and SAY THAT??????????????????

Don't let DOC read this - his head is already big enough, Randy .. you either .. all three of you just step away from the keyboards.

Lightening will strike over this one I just know it.

[:X] Mrs.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies

Save everyone the trouble, again.

The part of the tree that is water-less is the part UNDER the umbrella!:D:D

Hey genius, I think the word is Water-PROOF!

You would be better served to focus your attention on getting me my ONE FREE PEN PER CUSTOMER!

DocStram

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

I guess for now you three are the true three wisemen. Bob I.

Oh Good Heavens .. now look what you have done. DID you HAVE to go and SAY THAT??????????????????

Don't let DOC read this - his head is already big enough, Randy .. you either .. all three of you just step away from the keyboards.

Lightening will strike over this one I just know it.

[:X] Mrs.

Ahhhhh . . . the respect I so well deserve!!! ;)

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Randy_

.....With the random number generator it makes it so that we don't know how many people got the answers correct or how many correct answers a person has given over the month. I know this would be a whole nother headache but it would have been fun to know who is the true master. I guess all that grammar talk caused the educational part of my brain to kick in :D. Bob I.

Personally, it's too much work for too little benefit.

I totally agree. Doc take the easy way out and repeat the winners from yesterday!

Chuckie

Malainse

Doc, I take it we are not having biggest loser prizes this year ???
Well there goes my chance of winning for losing at trivia. I am 0 for 70'ish...[:eek:)]

DocStram

Originally posted by Malainse

Doc, I take it we are not having biggest loser prizes this year ???
Well there goes my chance of winning for losing at trivia. I am 0 for 70'ish...[:eek:)]

It's a cruel world out there, Mitch. It's almost at the point where one can hardly take pride in their losing. Woe is me. :(:(

MarkHix

The waterproof part is the piece in the garage. No, not the one on the floor 'cause sometimes the water blows under the door. It's the piece laying on the table saw.

Just send the prize to....

DocStram

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: What part of a tree is considered waterproof?

Answer: The preferred responses were:
Bark
Cork or Cork Cambium
Phellen
Epidermus
Leaf was also considered as a correct answer
(Leaves have a waterproof coating called the cuticle)

Note: There were 56 responses for this question with 55 being correct.

The winners of the day 23 contest are:

Scott-N-Ky
and
Les-Smith

And the prizes are:

Prize One - 32 oz Alumilite water clear kit Alumilite Corp

Prize Two - Pen Blanks from skiprat

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won. (Example: Jan 23 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

les-smith

Hey, I won. Let me tell you, today is officially what you would call a bad day for me. So, it was really nice to get on here and see that I was one of the winners. A good ending to a bad day courtsey of the IAP and its great members. I'm smiling now. Thanks.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DocStram

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

The winners of the day 22 contest are:

Scott-N-Ky
and
Les-Smith

Hey Doc;

You sure that wasn't

Scott-N-CT (me)?

Originally posted by Mudder

Scott-N-Ky
and
Les-Smith

Hey Doc;

You sure that wasn't

Scott-N-CT (me)?

Scott -

If you've been paying attention, you'll note that Kentucky is a Commonwealth and Connecticut is a mere state. Since preference is given to citizens of Commonwealths, the winner is, in fact, Scott-N-Ky. Sorry. :(

Moving to a Commonwealth would improve your chances of winning greatly.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Originally posted by Mudder

Scott-N-Ky
and
Les-Smith

Hey Doc;

You sure that wasn't

Scott-N-CT (me)?

Scott -

If you've been paying attention, you'll note that Kentucky is a Commonwealth and Connecticut is a mere state. Since preference is given to citizens of Commonwealths, the winner is, in fact, Scott-N-Ky. Sorry. :(

Moving to a Commonwealth would improve your chances of winning greatly.

A commonwealth IS a state; it's just the folks of the four "commonwealths" are too ignorant to know that! ;)

You don't hear anybody saying the 46 states of the United States do you? You refer to yourself as being in the U.S.A don't you? I don't think I've ever heard mention of the U.C.A, or the U.S & C. A.

I didn't think so [:p]

(before we get out the tar & feathers remember that this post is tongue in cheek)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
But Randy, my pen making is always "jam" up and "jelly" tight! Doesn't that relate to pens and trivia? And let me assure you, the taste of KY is NOT trivial. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually,

I thought Lou & I were on a tour to some great Blues!!

That is where the term "Jam session" comes from.

Where YOU might have been headed is anybody's guess!!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_

I think this is getting a little close the the edge. Let's rein this in a little and get back to pens and trivia. Please.

Well there's a shot in the arm to participation. :(

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam

Speaking of blues, you ever made a BLUE pen, Lou???
YES! I will post a BLUE mahoe pen tonight! After we get the next answer to the last trivia question! (Clever insertion of topic-related content. [8D]) BTW, did you know that the Blues Magoos first album was entitled Psychedelic Lollipop? (1967)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman

Speaking of blues, you ever made a BLUE pen, Lou???
YES! I will post a BLUE mahoe pen tonight! After we get the next answer to the last trivia question! (Clever insertion of topic-related content. [8D]) BTW, did you know that the Blues Magoos first album was entitled Psychedelic Lollipop? (1967)

WOW, that wood (yes, intentional, Cav) have made a great trivia question. Sure wooda' licked me (so to speak)!!! I hope Doc is listening for clues to future questions!!!

Oh, and don't worry Mudder, I don't get steered off course by a member comment, we just need to illuminate our course for those "in the dark!!"[8D][8D][8D][8D]

M

Mudder

Oh, and don't worry Mudder, I don't get steered off course by a member comment, we just need to illuminate our course for those "in the dark!!"[8D][8D][8D][8D]

Ah but Ed, His stars are still Purple. I think he's a spy! ;)

Top Bottom