Why use a fountain pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I'd also add (as the devils advocate), that lefties suck with a fountain pen. Being a leftie myself, I can't use a fountain pen, I push, and the paper does not like that.

Lighter touch.

It took me a long time to develop that, but I really love using it now.

One of the first bottles of ink I bought was at a Mont Blanc store. I told them I was new to fountain pens, had a hand crafted pen, and needed some ink. They snubbed their nose at my hand crafted pen, push some fat plastic (sorry, precious resin) pen in my hand, and had me sample various ink colors. The first thing they said was "get rid of the death grip". It must have been so obvious for them to say that! So, loosened my grip, and it worked much better. They were good with me (maybe first customer all day??), and did not even to to push a pen sale on me.

I use mine every day. Pushing it across the paper. Paper makes a huge difference, but I can still write on cheap recycled 20# non bright white crappy copy paper. Ink doesn't like the cheap paper as much, but I can still write on it without digging the tip into the paper.

Start with a medium tip, or bold. Develop your touch, then move to fine if you want. I have no problems with an extra fine, and no problems with a 1.5 mm italics nib.

Since I've started using it, I can also use a 0.3mm mechanical pencil with no problems, no digging, and no pencil digging into the paper.

Light touch, and lefties can absolutely enjoy the variety of ink colors out there!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

Actually the ball point pen as we know it today was patented by Laszlo Bíró a Hungarian who filed a British patent on 15 June 1938.

Loon-A-See

Here's the other link that I was looking for:
Does Cursive Need to Be Taught in the Digital Age? | NEA Today!

My personal opinion is YES! And, with a fountain pen (even if the ink is in a cartridge!) How will future generations be able to read "The Declaration of Independence" if they cannot read cursive??? Or, any other important documents, for that matter.

OK, I'll be quiet, for now. :)

Maria
aka Loon-A-See

jgourlay

The first pen I used was a dip pen in first grade. The first day of school we got a new tip and a full ink well. If my memory is correct,that's what we used for the first 8 yrs of school. I guess I'm telling my age.

Paul

So either you're 300 years old, or went to Hogwarts! :eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

InvisibleMan

I am putting together a presentation on fountain pens and one of the topics I would like to cover is why. Some of my reasons are:

1) Selection of inks
2) Variation in line width
3) Conversation piece

Any others??

I think it was Forbes magazine that had a story about how Fountain Pens was a level of prestige equal to that of owning a high end performance automobile.

On a side note, Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson, uses a fountain pen however not in the conventional way. he dips his pen as someone mentioned in a prior post in the meter of how one would give a speech. He deduced that from of all things, the Gettysburg address.

On a further side note, Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson is the greatest Twitter follow ever.

Penultimate

Old-school accountants insist that all checks MUST be signed using a fountain pen. And the color MUST be blue-black; not blue, not black.

LOL.....Can you tell my dad was an accountant that didn't stray from the basic laws of accounting?

We had a contract from China that required signatures with fountain pen and black ink. I was asked to use my pen but I was using dark blue ink.

JSolinger

Fountain pens are medicinal! I had a job that I wrote a tremendous amount. Using ball points I developed severe pain in my elbow. I switched to a roller ball and it got a little better then I switched to a fountain and all my elbow and joint pain went away. I have been using fountain pens since for miles of pain free writing.

DurocShark

Fountain pens are medicinal! I had a job that I wrote a tremendous amount. Using ball points I developed severe pain in my elbow. I switched to a roller ball and it got a little better then I switched to a fountain and all my elbow and joint pain went away. I have been using fountain pens since for miles of pain free writing.

Indeed. With a fp you can relax and let the writing flow.

I gave a fp to a coworker in our Idaho office. Gave him minimal instruction: Figure 8's on a brown paper sack for 10 minutes solid. Then clean the nib (I did give him instructions on a full disassemble). Then load with cartridge. Squeeze cartridge until you see a drop forming on the nib. Release, assemble and write.

He is a convert now. "I've never written so neatly in my life!" :laugh:

I am putting together a presentation on fountain pens and one of the topics I would like to cover is why. Some of my reasons are:

1) Selection of inks
2) Variation in line width
3) Conversation piece

Any others??

With the multiple video's of fountain pens on you tube, plus the companies that are springing up just to make fountain pens. What is old is new again. Here is a article from Forbes Magazine.

Exabian

I never used a fountain pen in my life until I started turning pens. I saw one and thought I would make one and try it. When my dad was alive he use to write using a calligraphy pen and that added to the interest, so I made one. Since then I have been hooked, and I'e noticed that my hand writing has improved because it forced me to slow down. plus i feel like I should try to write better to fit the elegance of the pen.

wildbill23c

Banned
I just joined the forum and ran across your question regarding fountain pens.

I just got into fountain pens myself, and I can say they are more natural in the formation of letters especially if you like writing in cursive. The pen nib flexes and gives all sorts of line variations, and even ink color variations depending on the line width and pressure.

Also, you have an almost endless supply of fountain pen ink colors, and depending on the fountain pen you can use pre-filled cartridges, you can get fountain pens with a cartridge converter which allows you to fill the pen from a bulk in supply, or you can get what's called an eydropper style which you end up just filling the body of the pen with ink. Not all pens will work in all these styles, however some of them can be converted one way or another.

A great place to check out to see the vast styles of pens, the huge selection of ink brands and colors, etc. is Fountain Pens, Fountain Pen Ink, Fountain Pen Paper | GouletPens.com. This will also give you an idea of the huge price ranges as well.

Hope this helps out.

Boz

I recently completed my first FP. It is a Jr. Majestic with just the kit supplied nib. I find it writes very well. I am left handed but the way I hold a pen I have no problem with smearing the ink. My hand is always below the tip of the pen. After I go through a few ink cartridges I may purchase an upgraded nib and see if I can tell the difference. You do need to slow down a tick when you write with it which I find to be a good thing. I also find that I am more inclined to write cursive with this pen than I do with a ball point or roller ball.

wildbill23c

Banned
I recently completed my first FP. It is a Jr. Majestic with just the kit supplied nib. I find it writes very well. I am left handed but the way I hold a pen I have no problem with smearing the ink. My hand is always below the tip of the pen. After I go through a few ink cartridges I may purchase an upgraded nib and see if I can tell the difference. You do need to slow down a tick when you write with it which I find to be a good thing. I also find that I am more inclined to write cursive with this pen than I do with a ball point or roller ball.

I can't write block lettering with a fountain pen, for some reason I automatically revert to cursive whenever I pick up a fountain pen. I'm going to pick up a few fountain pen kits here soon and make a few, see if I get anyone interested in them. Nice thing with these kits is you can use a converter in them so you can buy bulk ink bottles which in the long run is cheaper than cartridges.

My fountain pen becomes an extension/friend that you don't toss after each use, reducing landfill use.
Enhances your writing style as the nib is "customized" by your writing style.
I feel better when I use a fountain pen and my writing is more legible as I care more about how it looks.
You will tend to write more and scribble less when your hand does not tire as fast.
You have availability of quality ink and more color choices.
If I need a new suit or dress shirt, I don't tighten the cap as much, allowing ink flow to ruin it. Ink stains are not always accidents, but she thinks they are, please don't tell her!!!

PLease ....share this list when compilation is complete.

turnero

only a fountain pen is a tool to express yourself, till now I was not able to do that with a ballpoint, rollerball etc.
6of9 The joy of writing with fountain pens - by Peter Unbehauen - YouTube

988748_10200944340481813_221374115_n.jpg
http://www.penturners.org/forum/<object width=

wildbill23c

Banned
Something else that comes to mind is paper. Ordinary paper usually tends to cause ink blotches, unwanted bold lines, lots of bleed through, etc. You need a special paper typically to use a fountain pen and ink. Even a lot of the copy/printer papers out there will cause all the above issues. There are papers out there designed for fountain pen use, however many of them you will find are in different sizes from other countries, not much in the way of standard notebook (8-1/2" x 11") paper out there for fountain pens. Also note that the fountain pen paper notebooks, pads, etc. can be a bit expensive. However, if you do a lot of fountain pen writing you will really enjoy it with the right paper. Fountain pen ink is water based, so if you use certain papers like glossy photo paper the ink will not absorb into the paper and cause drying and smearing issues.

Cmiles1985

I've started using one of my fountain pens, and it's great! I haven't written with an FP in a long while (I used to have a fond appreciation of pens while in school). Now, I use it as a conversation piece. Many people my age in my area ask "what is that and where did you get it?" Then the lessons begin!

AP-PENS

pen at schools

Bruce, the most beautiful of handwriting can ONLY be done with a fountain pen. Using a fountain pen also encourages the user to try and write much neater too. :wink:

I make and sell them at craft fairs sold a good few this last year,one I made in pink acrylic was for a 13 year old girl for school as it's a private school and can only use fountain pens great some schools like to show that that a pen is miter than the sword, one's i make i put a piston pump to draw ink out of bottle

wildbill23c

Banned
Bruce, the most beautiful of handwriting can ONLY be done with a fountain pen. Using a fountain pen also encourages the user to try and write much neater too. :wink:

I make and sell them at craft fairs sold a good few this last year,one I made in pink acrylic was for a 13 year old girl for school as it's a private school and can only use fountain pens great some schools like to show that that a pen is miter than the sword, one's i make i put a piston pump to draw ink out of bottle

Wow a school that only uses fountain pens. That is very interesting. I haven't yet made a fountain pen, but I'm itching to do so. I've somewhat got into writing with them, and since I am making pens now, I want to make a fountain pen and rollerball pen set.

Many people have no clue what a fountain pen even is LOL.

Dr.Internet

I just found this thread. I grew up with fountain pens, the Sheaffer plastic bodied, cartridge pens that led to the traditional blue splotch under the shirt pocket! Fountain pens also required in high school, although we also learned to use the typewriter. All exams required blue-black fountain pens and if the teacher couldn't read it, it was marked wrong.
Re-discovered fountain pens about 15 years ago and started making them about 5 years ago. As a professional technical project manager (IT), I can report that nothing gets the attention of the meeting like taking out the fountain pen and beginning to write something. Furthermore, nothing says you really mean it like writing a Thank You note with your fountain pen.

Top Bottom