Wearever Fountain pen/pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Found this at a thrift store on my vacation. Pics not so good but it is a wearever Fountain Pen/Pencil. The FP Tip has a broken tang and I know it needs some love but does anyone have any knowledge about this?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 430
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Anyone know where I can get a NIB that looks like this It is from the pen above

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 284

KenV

Jerry

You are climbing onto a slippery slope. You may never escape.

That nib could potentially be reground to a much broader line. Might be worth considering to keeping the original nib in working condition to enhance the value when your heirs sell it some day.

Have fun with this!!!!

duncsuss

I didn't want to mention this earlier in case it turned out to be my bad memory -- but I appear to have a pen with a very similar nib (and a similar design embossed in the clip, although not the name of the maker.)

I can't get the nib out without some extra grip (I have section pliers at home), but here's a photo for comparison with your nib.

If it's a match, I'm sure we can work something out.

IMAG0462.jpg

Seer

Thanks I will keep it in mind pm me if you wish I still need to order the bladder and glue from Indy and someone is sending me a 5mm nib to see if that will work.

I didn't want to mention this earlier in case it turned out to be my bad memory -- but I appear to have a pen with a very similar nib (and a similar design embossed in the clip, although not the name of the maker.)

I can't get the nib out without some extra grip (I have section pliers at home), but here's a photo for comparison with your nib.

If it's a match, I'm sure we can work something out.

View attachment 151408

Seer

The only issue Ken is the backside of the nib is corroded badly. A real slippery slope but then I like to tinker with things to see how they work and if I can fix them.

Jerry

You are climbing onto a slippery slope. You may never escape.

That nib could potentially be reground to a much broader line. Might be worth considering to keeping the original nib in working condition to enhance the value when your heirs sell it some day.

Have fun with this!!!!

duncsuss

Thanks I will keep it in mind pm me if you wish I still need to order the bladder and glue from Indy and someone is sending me a 5mm nib to see if that will work.

I tapped the nib and feed out of the section and cleaned off the worst of the crud, it now looks even more like the one you have.

I just compared it to a regular #5 nib and feed, there's quite a difference in the ones I've got, a #5 feed won't fit into the radius of the old nib, and the wings of a #5 nib don't sit on the old feed.

It would be great if you can find a new nib for it, but if not feel free to get in touch.

IMAG0464.jpg

pencap51

Anyone know where I can get a NIB that looks like this It is from the pen above

The nib in question (Durium) is a gold plated nib. It's basically lower grade steel plated in very thin gold. Most of these nibs today (decades from when they were released) are corroded from the inside.

I have numerous encounter with these type of nib and any attempt to write with them ends up in disappointment, or literally broken off tines because on some of them, the corrosion inside is not visible from the outside.

If you would like to enhance the value of the pen so it writes better, I'd suggest to find a Warranted 14K nib that is about the same size.

Basically anything that says Gold Plated after the 14K, is not a real 14K nib. I always strife for using and restoring only 14K nibs.

duncsuss

If you would like to enhance the value of the pen so it writes better, I'd suggest to find a Warranted 14K nib that is about the same size.

That is easier said than done -- the shape is quite different from the Bock and Jowo nibs I've encountered :redface:

pencap51

That is easier said than done -- the shape is quite different from the Bock and Jowo nibs I've encountered :redface:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to trivialize things, I said the above statement because I have accumulated quite a few of these 14K nibs and had gone through the pleasure (mostly pain) of replacing nibs of a lot of pens.

So yes, what I said may not apply to those who are more... normal :D

Top Bottom