Unknown nib size- Magnetic Graduate - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Fountain Pens
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Fountain Pens The unique aspects of making, using, and selling fountain pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 13

Default Unknown nib size- Magnetic Graduate

Hi everyone,

I'll be turning a PSI Magnetic Graduate fountain pen for my grandmother as a thank-you gift. She likes to use extra-fine nibs, and the graduate doesn't have one as it comes.

Does anyone know what size nib (#5, #6, etc) the Magnetic Graduate uses?

Thanks in advance,
-AWLogue
AWLogue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Check with the Classic Nib. They may know.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is very close to a #5. But from what I recall this is one of the kits from PSI that do not accept a standard #5 nib. Something about the curvature is different than a standard nib.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 13

Thank you both for the replies. I'll send the Classic Nib an email. If all else fails, I'll take it to a local fountain pen expert for help.
AWLogue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 5

The Vortex and Graduate both use the same odd sized nibs. PSI says they are 6mm but the sure look like 5mm in size. I've talked to the folks at Classic nib and they suggested a 5mm nib but you have to flatten the curvature some to get it to fit in the existing feed. I've not tried yet. SO. Looks like the nib is the size of a 5mm with a 6mm curve at the feed. All mine are in the hands of others or i would get out the caliber and measure for you.
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2016, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am looking at this exact issue right now to find upgrades for the Magnetic Vertex which I think uses the same Nibs and feeds as the Graduate.

These are essentially #5 nibs but they have a curvature that matches a #6 nib. The feeds and housings are odd sizes and apparently don't match any of the "standard" aftermarket upgrades, like Bock.

A Bock or other #5 upgrade nib will insert and look like a good fit, but will fall out of the Vertex/Graduate housing.

In the next week or so I expect to have some bock upgrade nibs in hand and I will then attempt to "flatten" one of the cheap kit nibs (from a Baron) to see if I can get a good fit in the Vertex without destroying the nib. I will update you after I make that attempt.

I'm new to fountain pens, and love the Magnetic capped pens from PSI, just wish they matched the commonly available upgrades.

Also: PSI will be almost no help. I have an ongoing email conversation with their pen technician. They did confirm for me that the housing threads do not match up to a Bock housing thread.

I'm not giving up yet.....
conandy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

For the record, Allegory Pens (won't link their site but you can google them) is selling pens based on the Magnetic Graduate kit, and they offer a number of nib size options. Not sure how they manage that, but obviously they have solved this problem.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandy View Post
I am looking at this exact issue right now to find upgrades for the Magnetic Vertex which I think uses the same Nibs and feeds as the Graduate.

These are essentially #5 nibs but they have a curvature that matches a #6 nib. The feeds and housings are odd sizes and apparently don't match any of the "standard" aftermarket upgrades, like Bock.

A Bock or other #5 upgrade nib will insert and look like a good fit, but will fall out of the Vertex/Graduate housing.

In the next week or so I expect to have some bock upgrade nibs in hand and I will then attempt to "flatten" one of the cheap kit nibs (from a Baron) to see if I can get a good fit in the Vertex without destroying the nib. I will update you after I make that attempt.

I'm new to fountain pens, and love the Magnetic capped pens from PSI, just wish they matched the commonly available upgrades.

Also: PSI will be almost no help. I have an ongoing email conversation with their pen technician. They did confirm for me that the housing threads do not match up to a Bock housing thread.

I'm not giving up yet.....
Sooooo have you tried a flattened 5mm yet? Did it work or just trashed the nib? Inquiring minds want to know!
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
Sooooo have you tried a flattened 5mm yet? Did it work or just trashed the nib? Inquiring minds want to know!
Not yet. House projects took over for the last few weeks. Expect to start turning some more pens this week, and hopefully will get time to experiment some.

I am assuming I will try flattening it by using a transfer punch of the correct diameter as a "mold" to flatten it against. That is my idea so far. I promise to report on the attempt after I try it.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 2

So, has anyone tried flattening out the nib yet? i've got a Vertex with a damaged nib, and would be looking to replace it.

thanks.
djyanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads