Too wide a line on my Jinhao Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penburst

As a "fun" pen I got a Jinhao "Dragon". The nib puts down a very heavy line and I already pulled and refit the nib. Maybe I did it wrong but still the line is way too heavy. E-mailing the vendor is not helping any. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Have you cleaned the pen? That's the first step in troubleshooting a nib/feed. Especially a "fun" chinese pen.
Room temp water is all you need, just fill it a few times and expel the water, then fill it one last time and leave it in a cup of water to soak for 20 minutes.

Penburst

Thank you both. I had no success trying to find out the nib size, so I'm stuck with what came with the pen instead of substituting a fine nib. I did disassemble and clean the nib and it seems to be marginally better. Since it's a 'fun' pen I'll leave it as it is.

pshib

It may just be a wet pen. Try switching the nib to a F or EF. It might help if it's really wet.

monophoto

Chinese pens almost always have a rather fine nib.

You may need to tune the nib. Using a magnifier, carefully inspect the tines of the nib - they should be parallel, and the gap between them should have a uniform width from the breather hole all the way to the tip. If the tines are splayed apart, the pen will lay a broader line (and use ink much faster).

Tuning a nib is not something that I would want to try to explain in a posting. If your inspection shows that the nib needs to be tuned, look into some of the YouTube videos by S.B.R.E. Brown.

Top Bottom