Standard Fountain Pen Nib Kits - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Fountain Pens
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Fountain Pens The unique aspects of making, using, and selling fountain pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
With a bit of effort I think most low end nibs can be tuned to write pretty darn good. You expect more from a higher end kit/component because you pay more. Qualty inspection and tuning is better on the higher end stuff. The lower end - yup there's a nib. I've had $100+ fountain pens write terrible until tuned up and a kit pen from a PITH write beautiful out of the package.

I couldnít agree more, depends on what your time is worth though. Iíve spent 2-3 hours getting some to write good. Iíve had a disposable pilot FP that was amazingly smooth out of the box. The biggest downside Iíve come against is I couldnít change from the Medium nib (closer to a broad actually) to a fine or extra fine one when dealing with the PSI #5.5 nib size.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I agree with Mr Vic : "most low end nibs can be tuned to write pretty darn good"
So, if you are on the cheap side, CS USA and Bear tooth woods, the two links given by Mr Vic, are the ones, if you can find the color and size your client wants. But it will still be the same Chinese nib of poor quality that at least can write smoothly with a good tuning.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I really like the El Grande section. You can buy just the section, you don't have to buy the whole kit. also check out - http://content.penturners.org/librar...eplacement.pdf
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

jowo no 5 or no 6 nib units are best, can get the correct tap sizes and drilling instructions in some of the kitless pen white papers on this site best by Sean Newton, frankly the pen kit nibs are pretty low quality, but with some tuning even a cheap nib can be improved , provided a nib is correctly tuned, otherwise failure to write is a symptom of ink feed, sometimes you can make adjustments to the feed other times a different ink with better lubricious properties make work better, standard short cartridges require a good feed, where say a large capacity pen has more volume and can flow ink better , itís all about fluid dynamics , hence some people enjoy tinkering with them, others not and best to stick to rollers and ball points , not for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texasshipagent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 23

We are new to fountain pens and had a request from a potential customer for a fountain pen with a fine tip.

The two kits we are going to try are Classic Elite 2 and the New Series. Would it be possible to replace the nib on the nib housing of these kits one of the 6 mm Jowo fine tip nibs?

I'm not sure the correct terms for the different components and am trying to learn. I would like to know options before I start ordering things and trying to pull the nibs out of things incorrectly. If I find out the customer is experienced in changing the nibs and this is possible, then I will probably order the nib and have him teach me to change it.

Thanks!

Proud Mom of two young penturners
jennera is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

A tutorial (by Roy Robaldo) one can find in the library for changing nibs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLJKkn3FOU
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
A tutorial (by Roy Robaldo) one can find in the library for changing nibs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLJKkn3FOU
Super! I just finished reading a couple of the tutorials in PDF from the library that answered many questions and concerns.

Thanks for the link to the video!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Proud Mom of two young penturners
jennera is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Fountian Pen nibs

What is the preference for use the
Bock or Jowo nib.
What about the size #5 or #6.

Getting stared in making kit-less FP.

Thanks for the guidance.

Charlie
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
What is the preference for use the
Bock or Jowo nib.
What about the size #5 or #6.

Getting stared in making kit-less FP.

Thanks for the guidance.

Charlie
#5 or #6 comes down to customer preference -- some like a smaller pen that looks better with a smaller nib, some like a larger pen that looks better with a larger nib.

Most of the pens I make now are #6 -- but I sometimes get a request for #5.

Pick one and run with it for a while.

Same goes for JoWo versus Bock -- just pick one and go with it until a customer asks you to make the other (and is willing to pay enough for the pen that you recoup the cost of the tap on it).

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

My limited experience with both nib manufacturers, I prefer the JOWO over the Bock. When tuned they both are great but the last few Bock nibs have required the most time to get to write correctly with ink feeding issues. The Bock#5 feed is also longer than the JOWO requiring a longer section and cap. The JOWO #5 thread I believe is also the same as the Schmidt feeds and rollerball converter.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads